Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lead-acid battery charger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr Taz,

1). Use a well-regulated constant-voltage power supply that puts out 12.9V to 13.1V as a "float charger". Such a supply should by design be "current-limited" to between 0.5A to 2A, so that if connected to a mostly discharged battery, it doesn't catch fire :) You can build your own with an AC powered wall-wart that puts out ~15V DC, followed by an IC regulator like an LM317. Such a "float charger" can be left connected 24-7. I get five years or more of service from float-charged batteries.

A long-term "float-charged" battery will benefit from a once-per-month "equalization charge", for which you need a separate constant-current supply (I use a lab supply which has built-in electronic current limiting). Google "equalization charge".
Hello,
I have got a Float charger for sealed lead acid batteries for 2Amp. This is for 12v and 6v. And it has a trimmer for adjusting the correct voltage. Can you tell me which is the correct charging voltage for 6v open lead acid batteries?
Thank you,

I haven't seen this particular "technology" or read up on it, but my understanding is the same as yours. I have never heard of any "pulser" that magically resonates with sulfates and destroys them.

It sounds like a scam to me, but I would like to read test data if there is any from an independent testing facility showing that it actually works. I tend to be pretty cynical because of all the scams related to battery charging I have seen over the years (like rechargeable alkalines a while back).

Hello,

I had become interested in pulse charging a while back too, and read up
on some of the desulfators. I built one with a microchip and high current
MOSFET, and did some testing. I used a pulse of 10us to keep the
battery from being charged while it was being 'desulfated'.
After about a few weeks i gave up. I could get the cell to respond a
little better after a day or two of running, but not enough to say that
there was a huge difference. For a 4 Ahr cell the best i could get back
was a 1 Ahr rating, which is only 1/4 of its original capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back