Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD pinout

Status
Not open for further replies.

timex83

Hi!

I hav this LCD. I don't know the manufacturer and pinout, if its is HD44780-based. How do I know? I saw this name on the back, P16100. Please help!

timex83 said:
Hi!

I hav this LCD. I don't know the manufacturer and pinout, if its is HD44780-based. How do I know? I saw this name on the back, P16100. Please help!

hi,

Please post a picture of pcb.
The HD44780 is not the problem its the layout of the pins on the pcb.

Are there 14 pins or 16 pins, one end should have the number '1' near a wiring connection.

Pics of PCB

hi,

Please post a picture of pcb.
The HD44780 is not the problem its the layout of the pins on the pcb.

Are there 14 pins or 16 pins, one end should have the number '1' near a wiring connection.

Thanks for your reply, Eric. The LCD has 16 pins and yes one end has the number "1". Below are the pics.

Attachments

• LCD.JPG
    LCD.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 1,072
  • LCD2.JPG
    LCD2.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 774
Last edited:
Thanks, Eric. What is d function of pins 15 & 16? Is it 4 backlight?

hi,
I am not sure what pins 15/15 do on that LCD, as I dont know the type of pcb/manufacturer.

The set of solder pads at the other short edge of the pcb are most likely to be for a LED backlight.

I'll look around for info on pins 15/16.

EDIT:
Found a printed document, to faint to copy.!
Says pin 15 is LED+ and pin 16 is LED-

BUT, if you look at the printing on the backside of you pcb, its marked +K, +A at one end and -K and -A.???

I think your LCD is manufactured by GOLONE China.maybe a SGL-VCM1602A

Attachments

• lcd1[1].pdf
    240.7 KB · Views: 553
  • VCM1602A.pdf
    107.9 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:
BUT, if you look at the printing on the backside of you pcb, its marked +K, +A at one end and -K and -A.???

... and here follows the translation: "K" means "Kathode" --> English "cathode" and "A" means "Anode" --> English "anode".

If it's a German design manufactured in China the pin describtions were obviously misprinted. They should be -K and +A.

The backlights of LC-displays vary in current flow (commonly 50mA). Use 100Ohms in series and connect to VCC and GND. If connected reversely the display stays dark, the other way it will light.

Hans

pin1 VCC -5V
2. Gnd
3. Vss to adjust the contrast of LCD
4. RS (register select)
5. RW
6. ENable
pin 7 to 14 data pins D0 to D7
pin 15 gnd
pin 16 VCC for backlight

The pin numbers , though 1 to 14 or 1 to 16, are not in the same order in few makes of LCDs. I saw one unit by M/s XIAMEN OCULAR model GDM1602M, where in the pins are on the top right instead of standard TOP left and the order is 16, 15, 1, 2,...... 14.

@ Sivaram... please re-check the definitions of pins 15 and 16.

Last edited:
i got the same lcd recently and am trying to use it to display liquid level but i want full description on the function of the pins and the order of pin arrangements(i.e. from what point should i start counting the pins). i also want to know the functions of the four pins by the left u can see them in the attachment

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 281
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back