Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD Pinout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecid

Hi everyone!
Could someone tell me this 3.5 digit 7-Segment-LCD's pin configuration?

Thanks!

Attachments

• FRONT.jpg
    FRONT.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 346
  • REAR.jpg
    REAR.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 301
There's no driver on that device. Even if you had the pinout, you can't just add 5v to a segment and make it turn black, it uses AC with some specific specs. Basically, it's impractical to drive these without a special ASIC even if you got it free. An alphanumeric display with a built-in driver/controller is the way to go.

So, just adding a Vcc and testing which segment is lit? I intend to use it with a microcontroller to display, for example, a temperature value.

ecid said:
So, just adding a Vcc and testing which segment is lit? I intend to use it with a microcontroller to display, for example, a temperature value.

You've got to do a LOT of work to use that, it's probably not worth the trouble?, unless you can get a driver IC for it?.

You can't just do what you suggest, LCD's require AC signals, it's fairly complicated to do, usually you use XOR gates to feed all the sections, with an oscillator feeding the other XOR inputs. Some micro-controllers are designed specifically for this purpose, and it's all built-in.

yes... such trouble and problem are something that i must be faced :(
with a temperature sensor circuitry, the currently temperature will be displayed through microcontroller.
Actually, i use a LCD, not such 7-segment LCD. Just wondering if i can cnange the type of the display.

If a driver must be used, some suggestions available?

I'd use an MM5453 chip from National Semiconductor if you intend to use it with a processor. It should have no trouble driving that display, as it has 33 outputs for a display like that. You communicate with it using a synchronous serial data stream. You can get them from Jameco, here's a link to a datasheet: **broken link removed**
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back