Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD Lumination Without Backlight Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again,

Wow, that's quite a collection there. Some look very interesting, like that 24x2 liner, is that backlit too?

I checked my display again. I verified that the LCD part has a metalized back like you found too. That is what prevents the light from getting through from the back. There is a plastic part that conducts the light across the whole back, but no light gets through.
I even tried getting the light to follow the glass itself rather than the plastic made for the backlight models. That didnt work either, as apparently no light shows up on the display itself.

While playing around with it i did find one thing interesting:
If i use a focused light from both sides and keep it out in front of the display slightly (about one or two round LED diameters) it seems to light it up somewhat. That would mean that maybe two LEDs would work for this thing, even though not perfect.

I just spent 30 bucks for a 2.7" OLED display at Mouser. What I don't get is that you can find large graphic displays on cheap toys, but when I shop around for LCD type displays they are always expensive.

They are not expensive; but many vendors love to charge a lot for big profit$.

----> **broken link removed**

Al: Let me know where to send how many of which on a direct message, so you can play with projects. I have several two line displays, backlit.

Most of the long displays were used for manufacturing ----> **broken link removed**

Hello again,

LG:
Thank you for the photos, i will study them and compare to my display. I am also thinking about taking one completely apart so i can solve this mystery once and for all, regardless if i can get it back together or not.

Miguel:
Thank you for the offer. This one is 24 x 1 line. It uses HD66717 controller. One of the problems is the backlight, the other is that it is HARD WIRED for 8 bit parallel operation, even though that controller is capable of I2C control, and it is impossible to get to the wiring because it is under the COB chip (unless of course you know a work around).
One of the reasons i was trying to get this lit up was because it is hard to see without some light, and i have a few of them so i thought i could use them for various stuff.
What kind of displays to you have on hand, and what color backlight?
I hate to put you through that much trouble though. I do have a display that is backlit and am getting another one, but i like these little displays because they are so narrow. They can fit in a package probably about the size of a cigar or maybe a little bit wider so that means they can be used in a hand held pen-like probe.
Where abouts are you? if your in the UK shout me I have some disp[lays sitting about doing nothing, you can have any colour backlight you like as long as its blue :D

LCD leds are around 300mA you can buy them separately. 20mA ones wont light the entire length, I might have a couple of naffed displays with the lights intact, I will take a look and if I find them you can have the LEDS. That should light them up

Hi,

I happen to be in the USA right now.

Thanks for the offers guys, i really appreciate that. I am trying another display right now that i just got yesterday, has 20 chars and 4 lines, and that seems good for testing.

See the reason i wanted to backlight this particular display (24 x 1 line that is) is because i had gotten several of them back some years ago (i think it was 2009) for $1.00 each on sale, and i really do like the characters set and the display is very clear when illuminated from the front. But i noticed that it requires good lighting to see it, and i like to keep some of my stuff in subdued lighting while operating, like for an example one of my home built battery chargers which i have to use a lot. The display would be perfect for that if it had some sort of lighting for the display.

Let me rummage at the weekend and I will dig out the display I have thats the same, that way I can test the other led units from some of the other displays on it. Its personal now we will crack this!!

I am also sorting out equipment I need to sell very very fast so anyone in the market for a high end HP function generator or a couple of tektronic scopes shout me! I will get a list together, The signal generator I think goes right upto 2GhZ. The scope are 4 channels, I havnt used the signal gen much but it cost me £700 I am looking for maybe £250 + shipping (£300 would be better but I need a quick sale!).
I have to raise some money pretty quick for my mum

Hi,

Sounds good. What kind of Tek scopes you have on hand?

I am looking for the keys so I can get a list together, they are all mine but were kept in my dads equipment store in lab because it had the most room. I cant find his keys at the moment but should have a list in a day or so.
Its not the most modern stuff but I have looked after everything, I need the money for obvious reasons. dads account is in probate, the undertakers are ok with this and we will have time to pay for the funeral. But its silly things like we run on heating oil and it's nearly out, so that and a few other bits means I need to raise around £270 next week and some more the following week. I can get equipment again but looking after my mum and sister is number one at the moment, I also need to finish off something me and dad were working on as it could generate an income.
Sorry I am derailing the thread! Sometimes I get a panic moment but as long as I keep busy and concentrate on getting things done here I am ok. At least I am 15 so I stand a chance of keeping things running, people went to war at my age and left school etc. I can do this

Hi again LG,

Hey as far as i can see talking about an LCD backlight is not nearly as important as what you are going through right now and talking about for now. We can always get back to the LCD lighting problem later.

But my little advice for you would be to advertise in a section where you can sell or trade things. That way more people will see what you have to offer and maybe make you an offer.
That generator sounds wayyy cool, but wow that's quite expensive (new). Can i ask what you needed that for? It must have been a pretty interesting project.

Good luck with your fund raising.

It was for running the house on and the lab etc, I can get bio fuel for a generator but it dosnt work in our oil boiler.
I like talking about the LCD's I like to be busy at the moment. The generator can wait I can get another one day, I have more urgent things to get lol. I will advertise in the other section but first I need to find the keys or break the lock and check everything is working and get model numbers etc.
Honest I am doing ok, there is so much to keep me occupied at the moment, I also have mum and my sister to look after.

Hi LG,

Thanks. I meant what did you use the 2GHz frequency generator for? Some interesting project?

Hi LG,

Thanks. I meant what did you use the 2GHz frequency generator for? Some interesting project?

No it was a gift from my dad, I was getting into radio but things happened and I didnt ever really use it, I think it has an arbitrary generator on it as well.
I made a mistake it's 1GHZ
Still a little dusty even after being stored under a dust sheet!
sig gen.JPG

I havnt checked it still works but I will do (see no reason why not) it cost nearly £700 I think but I am open to ANY offer! I have serious reasons to get rid within a week if I can.
I havnt got to the scopes yet but I think one is a TEK 2252?

I also have this to get rid of
sig gen.JPG

spect ana.JPG

I forget what it cost now so again ANY offer considered, I am pretty sure I have the original maint manual and op manual for it but I will double check.
Then no idea if anyone wants these, i found them useful for pattern generators etc.
trans.JPG

I will also post in the right place lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back