LCD Frequency Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfernoJaffa

Hi everyone!

I have a project that i need help on starting.

I have a flow transducer that outputs a frequency range which changes at different water flow rates.

I would like to convert this frequency output into a litre/minute calculation on a LCD display.

I am a novice, any tips or directions? Any help is welcome!

If you check the EPE website, they have published a number of counter projects, or MicroChip have an appnote for a frequency counter.

If you check the EPE website, they have published a number of counter projects, or MicroChip have an appnote for a frequency counter.

Hi Nigel,
Thanks for your reply, I have looked at the microchip appnote using a PIC16C54 and found that the source code snippet is written in assembly language. I have done little assembly at college but feel that the C language would be a wiser choice for me. I also tried searching for the EPE website you had mentioned and found a site called EPEMag, was this the one you meant? I couldn't find much on that website.

I have found other projects using an Atmel chip with easy to understand source codes although programming the chip will not be easy. I would like to design the PCB board to include on-board programming as this will be easier to reprogram in the future (this should be a simple addition at the end).

The PIC chips I used at college were PIC16F84A and were programmed in assembly language.

Edit: I have learnt that I can connect the frequency directly to timer1 and measure the counts over a 1 second period. I can then take the value from timer 1 and calculate and display the flow rate.

I have attached a flow chart of what I would like the PIC to do.View attachment 61806

Can anyone suggest a good PIC to use, I have found the PIC 16F874 with Timer1 function although it seems to have more features then I need (40Pins).

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me the difference between these two PICs:
PIC16F887-I/P 20MHz - £1.89
PIC16F877A-I/P 20MHz - £4.09

I have chosen the PIC16F877A but in terms of cost the difference is 'noticeable'.

Can anyone tell me the difference between these two PICs:
PIC16F887-I/P 20MHz - £1.89
PIC16F877A-I/P 20MHz - £4.09

I have chosen the PIC16F877A but in terms of cost the difference is 'noticeable'.

The 877A is a very old device, similar to the 16F84A - modern devices are MUCH cheaper, presumably to encourage people to stop using the antique ones

Presumably the 887 is the modern replacement for the 877?.

The 877A is a very old device, similar to the 16F84A - modern devices are MUCH cheaper, presumably to encourage people to stop using the antique ones

Presumably the 887 is the modern replacement for the 877?.
Thanks for confirming this, so I should be fine in using the newer chip as a replacement without any issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…