Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD Display Wiring Check?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigal_scorpio

Hi folks,

Just wondered if anyone knew if it would do any harm to an LCD module if I swapped any of the control lines around?

I don't mean the VDD VSS and VEE, as I am sure of their position simply because the panels blocks come on with the power and are adjustable with my contrast pot!

I simply want to check the LCDs operation the simplest and most certain way possible without introducing more things to be wrong, so is it possible just to hook up the VDD, VSS and VEE and then test the LCDs output just by a few wires?

Thanks..............Al

bigal_scorpio said:
Hi folks,

Just wondered if anyone knew if it would do any harm to an LCD module if I swapped any of the control lines around?

I don't mean the VDD VSS and VEE, as I am sure of their position simply because the panels blocks come on with the power and are adjustable with my contrast pot!

I simply want to check the LCDs operation the simplest and most certain way possible without introducing more things to be wrong, so is it possible just to hook up the VDD, VSS and VEE and then test the LCDs output just by a few wires?

Thanks..............Al

hi Al,
Can you confirm the model and type number of the LCD display.?

If it has Vee then that suggests a graphic LCD but, the description of blocks suggests a character LCD.

Mike.

Model number

ericgibbs said:
hi Al,
Can you confirm the model and type number of the LCD display.?

Hi Eric,

The LCD is an LM032LN, supposedly a Hitachi. (see sheet)

I do have a pair of 1 x 16s also but they have no datasheets I can find.

Regards.........Al

Attachments

• LM032LN.pdf
    344.5 KB · Views: 197
if we can write a program for 20*2 characters and the power supply can deliver more current (perhaps, needed for the 5v to 150V converter to deliver 16mA at 150V DC, there should be no problem. But , I feel these are older type LCD displays now taken over by LED backlit type. One need not go for them unless absolutely insistent, for one's own reasons. At the best, the background may be much brighter.

hi Al,
Checked your datasheet against Hitachi Manual..OK.

Look at this sketch, I have added the pin designations, have you wired the LCD as per this sketch.?

If you are using this with the LCmeter, be sure to connect the RW pin to 0V.

Confirm also that you are using the 16F628A DIP 18pin version.

Did you do that simple LED On/Off, noddy test program to ensure that the PIC is working on that PCB.?

Last edited:
mvs sarma said:
if we can write a program for 20*2 characters and the power supply can deliver more current (perhaps, needed for the 5v to 150V converter to deliver 16mA at 150V DC, there should be no problem. But , I feel these are older type LCD displays now taken over by LED backlit type. One need not go for them unless absolutely insistent, for one's own reasons. At the best, the background may be much brighter.

Hi Sarma,

I don't need the backlight as this is for a LCF meter I have built, so there shouldn't be a problem using the module, but as Eric and many others have probably read, I can't get the little devil to display anything!

The other day I found a site that showed a breadboarded LCD with just a pot for contrast and a couple of switches that fed the data lines, it wasn't capable of meaningful data display but did prove if the lines to the LCD were correct - sad thing is I can't find it again and I didn't save it as a favourite.

It seems that my LCF meter that sounded quite simple to make is more than a match for me!

Regards..........Al

ericgibbs said:
hi Al,
Checked your datasheet against Hitachi Manual..OK.

Look at this sketch, I have added the pin designations, have you wired the LCD as per this sketch.?

If you are using this with the LCmeter, be sure to connect the RW pin to 0V.

Confirm also that you are using the 16F628A DIP 18pin version.

Did you do that simple LED On/Off, noddy test program to ensure that the PIC is working on that PCB.?

Hello again Eric,

The PIC is a DIP 18 16F628A, and I am just going to check my wiring against your schematic, but one thing I didn't know is that I needed to put RW to ground. That could be the problem maybe...Well I live in hope.

Just going to check now, I will let you know in the next 30 min.........Al

bigal_scorpio said:
Hello again Eric,

The PIC is a DIP 18 16F628A, and I am just going to check my wiring against your schematic, but one thing I didn't know is that I needed to put RW to ground. That could be the problem maybe...Well I live in hope.
Just going to check now, I will let you know in the next 30 min.........Al

hi Al,
Its shown in the circuit diagram for the LC meter.:)

Last edited:
Doh!

ericgibbs said:
hi Al,
Its shown in the circuit diagram for the LC meter.:)

Hi Eric or maybe I should call you "Your Majesty",

You are certainly king as far as I'm concerned!

That was it! Its working now, I mean its ALL working!

As you say the RW is shown on the schematic but I just built the circuit from the PCB layout, which doesn't mention RW and never took much notice of the schematic other than to check the polarity of the test leads!

I was wondering why there was an extra ground pin on the board!

Thanks and thanks again Eric, if you ever need anything I will be here and always willing to help.....Your Humble minion..........Al :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back