Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laser Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidOrb24

I basically want a laser that I can shine on one mirror and have it bounce around on many mirros and be able to see them at night. I was wondering which kind of laser is the best for doing that, and has the longest, and brightest shining beam of them all. I was originally looking at a simple red laser diode module, but I'm not sure that that would do the job. Here are some lasers that I found but I dont know which ones are good

1. laser diode modules
2. gas laser
3. simple laser pointer

Thats basically it, I dont want to spend a lot of money on an industrial strenght laser, I just want something cheap that would do the job. Thats why I was looking into a diode laser, but I dont know if they're any good or not, or how far they can shine.

If anyone has any input, that would be just awesome. Thanks. :D

Liquidorb, before you get carried away with shining lasers onto mirrors you should seriously ask yourself: how much do you value your eyesight?

Looking directly into a laser, no matter how small, CAN SERIOUSLY DAMAGE your eyesight.

And, what you are planning, is just asking for such an event happening.

Another fact, you actually cannot see the laser beam, just the reflection of it where it strikes a surface, unless you have it in a smokey room where the laser beam strikes smoke particles. Or outside, with cloud, mist, etc. getting illuminated by the beam

If you are old and mature enough to experiment with lasers I would suggest you get a low powered laser pointer. You must NEVER point it at any eyes, even if they quite far away. You must NEVER point it at a mirror, it could be your eyes that get hit.
Some may say that laser pointers are not focussed nor powerful enough to do eye damage, well, perhaps, but it is good pactise to use common sense and care with ANY laser product.

Klaus said:
Looking directly into a laser, no matter how small, CAN SERIOUSLY DAMAGE your eyesight.

ahahahaha, guy, I think he knows that very well hahah

Just get a simple laser pointer, they're a truly awesome, upto 1000 feet, I sometimes play with them and my small mirrors, just have some smoke in the room, and YES it's true, even a small laser pointer can do some eye damage, so don't look at it :lol:

I have a laser,...1000 feet? lol. Not good enough for me!,...Mine is visible for 5 miles,...NOT A LASER POINTER!...Would not want too get this one in your eyes! :shock: I've done some cool experiments with this laser. Its one of my favorite toys Its Helium Neon.. :D ;p

I don't know I got it as a gift from a friend, it was second or third hand.
However I will look in my photonics mag. and see what a new one costs and get back to you,..or why not take a look on ebay, you may get a good deal on one. :)

You can get HeNe lasers for around $40.00 on ebay - alternatively, you can get low powered diode laser modules like those in your link for around $12.00 from Aixiz LINK and they work fantastic ! At a power level of 5mw or below, eye protection is not required - it is always recommended, though. Sun glasses will not do - you need glasses that block the wavelength you are experimenting with. Be careful !

if you get a green laser you can see the beam in dark conditions but are much more expensive than red's. i have a 20 mw green laser and i can clearly see the beam at night

i have a 125mW green laser, burns stuff and all,

**broken link removed**

try that, $40 5mW green laser, its a VERY nice laser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back