Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laser Diode Driver: dampening a voltage spike

Status
Not open for further replies.

poofjunior

High everyone,

I'm making a laser-diode driver circuit with an enable that accepts 5[V] logic. It's a constant-current supply (from the LT1083 adjustable voltage regulator) to power the laser, a mosfet acting as a switch to turn on the constant current supply, and a mosfet driver IC.

The mosfet is an N-channel mosfet driven with the LT1910 high-side driver.

Right now, I'm simulating a circuit just like this in LTSpice using an LED with comparable voltage-drop and current ratings.

The problem I'm getting is that I'm seeing a voltage spike at the diode's anode, and it's just enough current and voltage to fry the sensitive laser diode. Does anyone know a way to dampen that spike? I've attached an image of the circuit and waveforms below.

Thanks in advance for taking a look!

Attachments

• laserDiodeDriver.png
    laserDiodeDriver.png
    62.5 KB · Views: 559
  • laserDiodeDriverWaveform.png
    laserDiodeDriverWaveform.png
    79.8 KB · Views: 394
Try adding a 100uH inductor in series with R1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back