Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laser Detector which activates keyboard output

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackRanger3d

Hello first time here.

Purpose-

What I would like to do is wire several phototranisters to a keyboard. I will direct lasers at the phototransistors. Depending on which transistor's beam is broken a keystroke will be activated. The Keyboard needs to have a normal PS2 or USB interface so I can plug it into a laptop etc.

So for example each time laser 1's beam is broken the keyboard will output 1 (or what ever letter/number I set it to).

Apllication
I am a hobby RC car driver. I have built a track in my basement, but there is no good, usable (for me) option for keeping track of laps or times, so I would like to create something. The above keyboard would be used in conjunction with a lap timing program. The progam has been designed to record a lap in each lane (from 1 - 10) each time the respective keyboard number is pressed.

So using this when the car breaks the beam the lap is scored.

I have already tried another option which requires the wiring of a phototransistor to an db25 plug. Here is the schematic But for what ever reason my LPT port will not register anything. So I figured the keyboard would do.

I am good at soldering, not so good at reading schematics, but I can learn. Any help you guys can provide will greatly enhance the development of my race track.

Thanks for looking.

Not quite sure what you mean.

But I did go into my bios and ensure that the correct address was being used by the software.

And I wanted to set the LPT to normal, but the only options on my IBM r51 were EPP, Bi-Directional, Diable, and EPT

BlackRanger3d said:
Not quite sure what you mean.

But I did go into my bios and ensure that the correct address was being used by the software.

And I wanted to set the LPT to normal, but the only options on my IBM r51 were EPP, Bi-Directional, Diable, and EPT
for ur problem stated ,i recommend the parallel port method . i donno how u checked the status of pins .
so try according to this.
https://pinouts.ru/data/ParallelECP_pinout.shtml

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back