Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

laptop suggestions needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigfarmerdave

I'm looking for a hybrid between a laptop and an Ipaq so basically a laptop without a spinning platter for a hard drive, but rather solid state. Basic requirements.... Must have a 9 pin serial port or way of adapting to one, solid state hard drive, and either a PCMCIA or USB slot to connect a wireless internet card to it. I'm not sure I can run the software I need to on Windows mobile or CE so I had better plan on using some form of Windows. Cost is important so refurbished or used is certainly an option. What do you guys recommend?

I have personally played around with the new $300 Dell Mini 9". While they don't have a 9 pin serial port, you can just get a USB to serial adapter. I believe the 9" version has 3 USB ports. I was walking down the hall way, Remote Desktop'ed into my work PC over Wi-Fi. It looked and responded VERY well. It was running Linux instead of Windows (which makes it cheaper). It surfs the web very nicely. I played with another one that was running Windows XP and Office 2007. They seemed to run just fine. Dell also has a 12" version that costs a little more, but is still solid state and light-weight.

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 Laptop / Netbook

Dell Inspiron Mini 12 Laptop / Netbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back