Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laptop battery hack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fira

I have got Toshiba Portege Z930 with dead battery. The unit will not turn on as it has to have 5% charge to turn on off the battery and will not turn on off the mains only if you remove the battary. It is an ultrabook and to remove the battery I have to remove the back cover. I cannot get battery pack where I am now, but I do really need this laptop up and running ASAP.

I need help to hack the battery so it shows 100% charge to power the unit from mains only. Could you advise please how to?

Some information about the battery: G71C000CH310 Lithium-Ion 10.8 V 8Cell 47Wh

Battery connector (9-pin): Pin No. Signal Name 1 GND 2 BTMP1 3 GND 4 Q8811-4pin 5 PSCL-S5P 6 PSDA-S5P 7 M5V 8 DBT1OV-S5N 9 Q8811-1pin

I can upload the battery photos and willing to open it as well if that can help.

Hi F,
Before you do anything, check the dangers of Lithium type laptop batteries, they can catch fire.
If you try to change the cells make sure that you always have some voltage to the internal battery controller else it may die. I'm sure there will be more than one connection from battery to laptop, some are for temperature, some for between cell safety.
Can't help much more:(
Camerart.

I have got Toshiba Portege Z930 with dead battery.
Some information about the battery: G71C000CH310 Lithium-Ion 10.8 V 8Cell.
Impossible. Lithium-Ion cells are about 3.7V each then the battery is 8 x 3.7V= 29.6V, not 10.8V.
I found an ad for the 14.8V battery. Then it must have 14.8V/3.7V= 4 cells, not 8 cells.

Attachments

• Toshiba laptop battery.png
    Toshiba laptop battery.png
    66.1 KB · Views: 242
I have opened the battery and there are 8 flat cells. The information is copied from the service manual for the unit.
I will take picture of the battary and post later today.

I have got Toshiba Portege Z930 with dead battery. The unit will not turn on as it has to have 5% charge to turn on off the battery and will not turn on off the mains only if you remove the battary. It is an ultrabook and to remove the battery I have to remove the back cover. I cannot get battery pack where I am now, but I do really need this laptop up and running ASAP.

I need help to hack the battery so it shows 100% charge to power the unit from mains only. Could you advise please how to?

Some information about the battery: G71C000CH310 Lithium-Ion 10.8 V 8Cell 47Wh

Battery connector (9-pin): Pin No. Signal Name 1 GND 2 BTMP1 3 GND 4 Q8811-4pin 5 PSCL-S5P 6 PSDA-S5P 7 M5V 8 DBT1OV-S5N 9 Q8811-1pin

I can upload the battery photos and willing to open it as well if that can help.
Hmm, this is a common problem with Toshibas,

The first thing is that, as far as I know, the Portege should work without a main battery fitted.

Your problem may not necessarily be a failed battery pack. It could be due to a faulty power adapter so you should check the power adapter output voltage when the adapter is powering the Portege. Good after-market power adapters are much better than the Toshiba original.

Remove the battery and try theses procedures.

Measure the battery voltage.

Hold down the start button for 30 seconds minimum and then try to start the computer.

If that fails try starting in safe mode.

If that fails, find the backup battery, (BUB) (normally a coin cell), and disconnect the BUB for at least 30 seconds then reconnect the BUB.

Very often a computer will not start if the keyboard is faulty, especially if the keyboard has suffered moisture ingress.

Another reason for not starting is a load, or short on any of the USB sockets.

spec

Last edited:
Many laptops and phones have sets of two little Li-Ion cells in parallel. Then your laptop will have four sets of 3.7V in series which is 14.8V.

Hi,
I'm not really following what's happening, but I just had a thought! Is the BIOS battery ok.
C.

Problem started after battery getting fully discharged when the unit was used on battery. After that when I plugged the laptop in it would turn on and shut down after 10 - 15 seconds. Left it plugged in for an hour and it started but then started flickering like the unit was receiving power on and off, turnd off after about an hour. Now when plugged in the mains indicator shows plugged in and green, the battery icon is yellow, when turning on, it turns off after 1-2 seconds.
Did check the mains and it is ok, will have to mesure the battery when get my hand on multimeter.

A Lithium rechargeable battery is destroyed if its discharging voltage becomes lower than about 2.5V per cell and its capacity and life is reduced if lower than about 3.2V per cell. Its load (laptop pc or phone) is supposed to detect a low battery and shut it down before damage occurs and most laptop batteries have a "protection" circuit built into them to do the shutdown as a backup. Your laptop voltage sensing circuit is defective and it kills batteries. Or is it a cheap no-name-brand battery from ebay? Some are full of flour instead of Lithium ions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back