Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Jury Rigged Headset

Status
Not open for further replies.

InductanceFTW

My headset for my computer just crapped out for no reason (well, I'm sure there is one, I just don't know what it is). It appears the only problem is each ear thing. One stopped working last week, and the right one just gave out. I have a speaker with me, along with a microphone and several other sound type things. Could I cut the headset from the wire leading from the speakers to it, then solder the wire onto the speaker, and use it as a POS headset until I can make a run to Radioshack tomorrow? Or will this not work? If I really thought this through, it would work, but I'm tired and running on a gallon of sweet tea, so I don't feel like thinking.

This will probably end with me burning myself with the soldering iron, but I don't care. Help, please.

I should probably clarify that more.

Can I take the wire that connects my computer speakers to the headset, sever that wire, than solder on a speaker, and have it work?

If I'm following your train of thought properly then no, it won't work, not well at least. The line out jacks on a computer sound card aren't intended to drive speakers directly and attempting to do so puts a few key parts at risk of damage. Way back in the old days some ISA sound cards could drive one or two high impedance speakers to a reasonable volume but those days are long behind us. Bottom line, don't risk it, just wait until you can obtain the proper stuff.

A headset output is at a low enough level that does not blow your ears off. Its level is far too low to drive a speaker (unless you wear the speaker on your ear).

Look inside your right earpiece, perhaps one of the two wires simply became detached from the speaker in there? Happens often to me from tension on the wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back