Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Junebug LCD working

Status
Not open for further replies.

futz

What fun! Got an LCD working on Junebug tonight. :D Ported my 16F88 code and tuned it up for 8MHz 18F1320. If anyone wants asm source just squawk.
junebug_lcdsm.jpg
Pinout is:
RB1 - RS
RB4 - E
RA1 - D4
RA2 - D5
RA3 - D6
RA4 - D7

Last edited:
blueroomelectronics said:
Does that LCD use three white sidelight LEDs? The blue ones I use have built in backlight current limiting. They're made by TopWayDisplay.com

Nice project.

That's the one I bought when I bought the Inchworm+ / Unicorn combo -- a nice display (model #LMB162AFC). They're a little more though... I think they're like $12 - $14 at Creatron.

Well, I'll throw a pic of mine up in this thread as well, now that I have it working.

This is an RS-232 communications test between a 16F88 / MAX232 and a PC (my laptop). It's running from the Inchworm+/Unicorn combo, with the LMB162AFC blue LCD.

The reason for the crystal (instead of using INTRC) is that it's running at 20Mhz -- because that's what I'm going to be working with in a near future project.

Attachments

• DCP_5799.JPG
    DCP_5799.JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 443
Does that LCD use three white sidelight LEDs? The blue ones I use have built in backlight current limiting. They're made by TopWayDisplay.com
I think it's a different one. There's a lit up bar behind the display. Whether it's EL or LED I don't know. I never bothered to get a datasheet. Here's a pic of the back:
junebug_lcd001sm.jpg
For a measly $6.00 they're a very nice display.

Ever tryed Myke Predko two wire LCD circuit?
https://www.myke.com/lcd.htm
No I haven't. First time I've seen that - I looked at the site, but didn't read to the bottom before. That's very cool. I'm going to do that one of these days.

UTMonkey said:
Looks great, I am not ready for that just yet but when I am.....
Doo eet!!! :D It's not nearly as difficult as you might think. And having a display to print stuff out on makes lots of other programming/debugging tasks easier. That's why I rigged up that RS232 connection first thing. Once you're able to display stuff that's happening inside your program, you're no longer "working blind" and just hoping your code is right.

Well it definitely has an LED backlight with a current limiting resistor. I'm trying to get Creatron to carry RED LCDs.
Don't bother with LCDs. Get them to sell online! :D Digikey is expensive (fast though). Dipmicro has limited inventory. Another online shop would be great if their inventory is good.

There's a couple electronics stores here in the city but I NEVER go down there. It's a long drive and traffic is a nightmare (yes, I know Toronto traffic is horrible too - lived there for two years). I always mail order my stuff.

Last edited:
Thanks Futz, it is a bit of a leap from 7 segment LED's but the benefits for debugging must be huge.

I am probably being PIN greedy but is their a 1Wire(I think it's called) version?

Cheers

Debugging with LCDs is old hat, a hardware debugger with PICs that support it are superior and require no extra coding on the users part. They do require 3 pins (MCLR, PGC & PGD)

I suppose it might be, I have some catching up to do.

I was thinking of capturing memory contents at a point in time, can the IDE do this?

A debugger such as the PICkit 2 (Junebug) or ICD2 (Inchworm+) can both display any and all of the contents of the target PIC. You can even modify variables on the fly, set breakpoints etc.
Try the MPLAB Simulator (software) as it offers similar features to the debugger (hardware)

Kyle got to get you a Junebug even if it's just for the UART test mode :)

I'm hoping I can drop by Creatron tomorrow after three -- I'd like to check it out for sure. :)

Too late for the UART though -- I've got it all working on an 'F88 @ 20MHz, in both software and hardware -- I'm hoping to use software for RS-232 tonight, while leaving the hardware UART for RS-485 -- but I think I'll drop that on an 'F886. ;)

A debugger such as the PICkit 2 (Junebug) or ICD2 (Inchworm+) can both display any and all of the contents of the target PIC. You can even modify variables on the fly, set breakpoints etc.
Try the MPLAB Simulator (software) as it offers similar features to the debugger (hardware)

I have the Inchworm+ with the Unicorn upgrade (USB) -- it made a world of difference in my programming -- I highly recommend it (but go with the USB upgrade if you can, the speed difference is more than night and day!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back