Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

JFet Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

linguist

In the diagram attached I noticed they have a NTE452 JFet that is used for UHF/VHF applications.
Why do you think have they chosen it for this application being an amplifier, is it for signal quality reasons or just the gain available etc, or other reasons.

Is there a modern readily available equivalent so I can try it out?

Cheers

Attachments

• FET.gif
    FET.gif
    16 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Spec-wise, **broken link removed** looks very similar to **broken link removed**.
I saw another Google result that said they were equivalent.

Last edited:
JFETs can have good high frequency gain and noise characteristics, and that is why they are often chosen for high frequency amplifier circuits.

JFETs can have good high frequency gain and noise characteristics, and that is why they are often chosen for high frequency amplifier circuits.
This looks like an audio preamp to me. I think the OP's question was about the choice of a UHF/VHF JFET for an audio application. I'm assuming it is because it was available, and works.

This looks like an audio preamp to me. I think the OP's question was about the choice of a UHF/VHF JFET for an audio application. I'm assuming it is because it was available, and works.
You are right. I didn't look carefully at the schematic.

JFETs are sometimes used in audio applications because they are low noise and have characteristics similar to a pentode vacuum tube with a high input and output impedance. And a UHF/VHF type JFET will typically work fine at audio frequencies also.

Thanks for the replies,

I thought it was a strange choice of JFet but maybe not from the replies.

I can get the 2N4416 mentioned.

Cheers

JFET's are square-law devices. They produce less intermodulation distortion then bipolar devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back