Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Jacks ,NC, NO, Transfer switching, isolated switching, Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a list of Jack Schematics , do you guys know any others please

https://www.surplussales.com/Connectors/pdf/Jack-Schematics.pdf

some jacks have a "Transfer Switching" I need the jack schematic for this?
some jacks have a "Isolated Switching" I need the jack schematic for this?

What is the Transfer switching used for?

What is the Isolated Switching used for?

They Call it a Remote switch Breakaway: Take a look
https://www.google.com/search?q=peav....0%3B491%3B333

Why do they use a Sleeve Shunt also? for the REMOTE BREAKAWAY SWITCH?

Why would they have a Switch inside the jack to have the Sleeve isolation point NO when a plug was inserted into the jack?

Mostly I see jacs that are Tip , Ring , Sleeve, Tip Shunt NC, Ring Shunt NC

What is the Transfer switching used for?
I have a amplifier. There is a place to put in a microphone. There is a mic preamp. If I want to not use the mic but send in 'line level' audio I plug in after the preamp. When the plug is in it breaks the preamp connection and sends audio directly into the power amp.
upload_2013-12-9_20-49-29.png

What is the Isolated Switching used for?
Used when a battery radio can run from a wall wort. The adapter, when plugged in, disconnects the battery.

So the Transfer switch , BREAKS the path or stage that is before? is this how it is always used?
It can be used any way you can you can think of. I usually see it to break one signal and inject another. (like you say)

It's hard for me to tell the difference between a SHUNT switch , Transfer switch, Isolated switch

They all look the same to me

How do you guys tell the difference between a SHUNT switch , Transfer switch, Isolated switch? They are all these different kinds of jacks

III shows (with out/with) plug. Note the switch position.
VI shows (with out/with) plug. Note the switch position.
IX What is in green is a insulator. It pushes on the switch with out connecting to it. Note on the right the switch is open.
upload_2013-12-10_18-31-28.png

>It is hard to see but......
>I think there are switches on TIP, RING and SLEEVE.
>When there is no jack, the TIP is shorted to ground and the RING is shorted to ground. The SLEEVE switch (I don't understand) the schematic is strange but I think it is shorted when there is not jack. It is not used! So don't worry about it.
>When the jack is in all switches are open.

vapx6.gif

I think there are switches on TIP, RING and SLEEVE.
>When there is no jack, the TIP is shorted to ground and the RING is shorted to ground. The SLEEVE switch

Yes , the switches are shunts right? for the tip, ring and sleeve, they each are shunted to ground right?

I know the R170 , 10 ohm resistor is a ground loop resistor, I'm guessing the 10 ohms lifts the ground potential up to a DC offset voltage?

R170 , 10 ohm resistor: is a ground loop resistor
1.) The Relay and the Jack go through the 10 ohm resistor to ground

Why go through a 10 ohm resistor?

When the Plug is in the jack, the Tip, Ring and Sleeve are NO normally Open , not grounded

The Double Closed Jack doesn't have the Shunt for the Sleeve

I guess it would be called a Triple Closed Jack
1.) Tip Shunt to ground
2.) Ring Shunt to ground
3.) Sleeve shunt to ground

Thanks for the help on this

So an Isolated switching jack, is just a Tip & Sleeve? not a Tip , Ring , Sleeve jack?

do you know the name of this jack? it has a Sleeve shunt
https://www.google.com/search?q=peav....0%3B491%3B333

Or why it has a Sleeve Shunt? I don't see these much with a Shunt on the Sleeve

A plus in this jack will NO the shunt, why ?

Hi

The term "Isolated" refers to the electrical isolation of the sleeve to the jacks mounting surface. If it is "non-isolated", then the sleeve is electrically connected to the
the mounting surface if the mounting surface is made of a conductive material (such as metal). If it is isolated, then the sleeve is electrically isolated from the mounting surface.

Hope that helps..:)

eT

The term "Isolated" refers to the electrical isolation of the sleeve to the jacks mounting surface. If it is "non-isolated", then the sleeve is electrically connected to the
the mounting surface if the mounting surface is made of a conductive material (such as metal). If it is isolated, then the sleeve is electrically isolated from the mounting surface.

I don't get it , can you explain that one my time ?

Are you saying that the sleeve is not grounded when its Isolated?

Some jacks are Metal bushings and others are plastic bushings

How can you tell from a schematic which ones do it want , a metal bushing or plastic bushing?

I don't get it , can you explain that one my time ?

Are you saying that the sleeve is not grounded when its Isolated?

The chassis may or may not be grounded, but if it is grounded, then no...the sleeve will not be grounded. The sleeve will be electrically isolated from the chassis.

Some jacks are Metal bushings and others are plastic bushings

It doesn't really matter, the jack will be designed so that the sleeve will either make contact with the mounting surface (non-isolated)
or not make contact with the mounting surface (isolated) when mounted. I have seen applications, however, where a non-isolated jack is isolated
from the chassis with an external fiber bushing.

How can you tell from a schematic which ones do it want , a metal bushing or plastic bushing?

Usually the schematic will show a chassis ground symbol connected to the sleeve.

eT

the jack will be designed so that the sleeve will either make contact with the mounting surface (non-isolated)
or not make contact with the mounting surface (isolated).

Doesn't that Metal or plastic bushing make the contact? with the sleeve to the mounting surface?

I thought i was the bushing that made the control with the sleeve to the mount surface

How can a plastic bushing make the sleeve to the mount surface to be grounded to chassis? it's plastic , so it will always be isolated right?

The Double Closed Jack schematic has a different 5 pin out than the Peavey Remote Breakaway Jack

Double Closed Jack Pinout:
Pin#1 is Ring
Pin#2 is Ring Shunt
Pin#3 is Tip
Pin#4 is Tip Shunt
Pin#5 is Sleeve

Peavey Remote Breakway Jack, " Triple Closed Jack"
Pin#1 is Tip
Pin#2 is Tip shunt
Pin#3 is Ring
Pin#4 is Ring Shunt
Pin#5 is Sleeve

The Pin outs are different right? is the PCB jack is made for that pinout it can't be a replacement for it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back