Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I've been offered Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't had that kind of experience with Win10 to be honest, in fact I am feeling quite positive about it as a desktop OS, and I may adopt it for personal use, providing the hardware support is there and assuming that I don't have to have a maintenance contract in order to close future security issues. I'm not a gamer though, so ymmv. Perhaps it's time for a re-think and a proper gaming platform and OS to emerge, a new kid on the block, so to speak, that is stripped to the bone for low latency and let the gaming hardware manufacturers directly provide any additional software support required, rather than the OS provider having to make 3rd party software work within their own framework. If the new hardware platform is both generic enough and open enough, I see no real reason why it couldn't be done :)

There will be many improvements and detractions. For now I'll stick with Win 8,1 on two machines and make them fast and look like XP and lean like ME.
I suspect they think they have locked up the security of clone versions of windows with back-door prizes.

I usually tweak out everything lean like turning off ET call home telemtery and GUI animations.

It is supposed to customize easier for tablet or otherwise. I try to kill the "metro" apps which waste power.

Windows certainly wastes a lot of time doing background registry scans and Metro (Win8 mode) style apps collecting updates for all the mobile like apps. news, photos weather, pictures, mail etc , while you think nothing is happening. Win 10 is supposed to merge these two environments. Metro insists on UAC enabled, while I run with it off like XP mode and prefer to control my environment and choose my own 3rd party apps. Who knows maybe it runs as smooth as mobile phone in single tasking mode except multitasking on Quad core with 8GB but consuming no more than 1/4 of all CPU's per application.

I still use Windows Media Centre for OTA TV from router based TV tuner, so no Win 10 for me as this is not offered for now. But then we watch more recorded media now TV and new SD & HD movies free using web based KODI which runs on almost anything..

Free OS. like a free lunch, is great if you are starving, and don't mind the uncertainty if it has MSG or hidden allergic contents.

When I switched my PC on this morning the download of the upgrade file downloaded started. (The download was a bit under 3GB) When it had finished it gave me the option of installing it then or delaying the install. The last time it gave me to select for the install was 23:00 on the eighth. It did not give me an option to not install it. I am now looking for a way to stop the upgrade. I was hoping the download would be an iso file to burn a DVD. I wanted to try it first on a clean install onto a spare disk before risking it on a live system.

Les.

hi Ian,
The BBC have posted some reviews of Win10, this is an example.

E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back