Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I've been offered Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read some speculation about the "free" part. It may be free and legal, but not registered. Anyway, I tend to subscribe to the philosophy that nothing is free. I am sure there will be more to follow from MS as well as users. I'm in no hurry to change my OS. Win7 is working fine for me. Its bundled e-mail program is a little glitchy, and that is the one thing I would like to change.

John

Its bundled e-mail program is a little glitchy, and that is the one thing I would like to change.

So why use it? :confused:

I've never used any Microsoft supplied email program, and never would.

I've also received the free Win10 upgrade offer, and registered my interest - there seems no reason to suggest the free upgrade won't be 'registered', it would be pointless doing it if that was the case. I would suggest the idea is to get actual,users out there using Win10, which never really happened with Win8.

I have looked at the preview of Windows 10 (and I too have been offered the free upgrade) and it looks fairly impressive. It strikes me as Windows 8.1 aimed towards a PC rather than towards a tablet (like Win8). However, I don't think I'll upgrade my desktop PC because I have done everything on it in Windows 7 and dont' know what bugs there may be.

It strikes me as Windows 8.1 aimed towards a PC rather than towards a tablet (like Win8). However, I don't think I'll upgrade my desktop PC because I have done everything on it in Windows 7 and dont' know what bugs there may be.

My machine at home (that I'm typing on now) came with Vista, and I upgraded (either for free, or very cheap - think it was free?) to Win8 - which I've been pretty happy with - once I downloaded the 'classic start menu' program :D

I can use Win8, and I actually became pretty proficient with it when I still had my laptop. I just prefer Win7 for my desktop.

Win 8 would have required me to spend alot of money in upgrading other software. That is why I went with win 7.

I hear that alot of my existing software will run under win10. I still may not update it....I'm undecided.

I just don't trust MS, Win10 may be free but MS has stated that it will become a service!!! Maybe after 1 year it will be automatically updated to the new service model and you have to start paying a yearly subscription.

When MS comes out and states it's free without the wishy washy wording - no new windows - it'll become a service - free for first year etc, I'll remain skeptical.

Mike.

I just don't trust MS, Win10 may be free but MS has stated that it will become a service!!! Maybe after 1 year it will be automatically updated to the new service model and you have to start paying a yearly subscription.

When MS comes out and states it's free without the wishy washy wording - no new windows - it'll become a service - free for first year etc, I'll remain skeptical.

Mike.

Wow, really? I hadn't heard that! That would be a very bad move on MS's part. Your average PC user isn't going to be willing to pay a service fee. They'd lose a lot of business.

look at the business models that become annual services ... most antivirus software.

Let's say their model starts with win10 and runs for two years, after which you can upgrade to win11 for a fee, say 100 bucks for one year or 150 for two years.

it's a workable model. we see it with cellular phones as well.

Wow, really? I hadn't heard that! That would be a very bad move on MS's part. Your average PC user isn't going to be willing to pay a service fee. They'd lose a lot of business.
I have..... It has been said that Windows 10 is the very last Windows.... This will be maintained for years to come... The only way this can happen is a maintenance contract....

Obviously you don't have to subscribe, but I should imagine that anyone writing software for windows frame work, wont support their product unless you have a valid USC... User service contract..

I can also see it getting messy... I may keep with Window 7 until the very end... Which I believe its 2020...

The trouble is, M$ haven't exactly been forthcoming with straight, open and upfront answers, yet again giving rise to all these rumors and whispers. If they do turn this into a subscription service based OS, I suspect that you will see a whole new raft of small software companies, just like those that wrote "classic shell" for win 8/8.1 etc, spring up and begin developing OS bolt on's. In fact, you may even see some other software company altogether begin to produce "unofficial" open source windows updates. I think overall, it's highly likely to spur on those that would want an alternative OS, perhaps also leading to a general rise in Linux and Mac users, but I reckon a brand new player will come to the front at some point to meet the challenge of the modern desktop and M$ will eventually leave it behind them.

I have been using Win10 beta along with Win8.1 across several devices for some time, the OS is very stable and has just about enough moxy to appeal to everyone, so I wouldn't necessarily hesitate to adopt it for personal use, but for business use, win 7 is where it's at for me until a clear alternative emerges that offers me something better :)

They're already loosing some market share to Linux. Going to subscriptions will give them some extra profut for a while, but will also increase Linux market share further. If Linux desktops are allowed to aquire critical mass, most software vendors will have to provide all the software for Linux as well. Once this happens, Windows is gone within few years.

NG:

What's the darn deal with Adobe, not supporting Linux? Adobe's software (Flash) always crashes on Linux.
I don't even see a lot of Adobe Acrobat creation tools on Linux. I could be wrong, though. Adobe makes it "difficult" to install anything on Linux.

I've used apt, the Ubuntu Software center, and Synaptic for package installation.

I miss "View by name" for directories in Linux and I miss "Restore".

My Linux (12.04 LTS CD) is about as stable as Windows XP was, but I've been running from CD. A particular wireless card isn't supported unless I re-compile the Kernel or upgrade. Lots of issues with 64/32 bit stuff. Occasionally my KB goes south (easily fixed).

I get no help from the support Forum, I guess, because I;m not supposed to run Linux from CD "forever". After some time in weeks, the CD light keeps blinking and grinds the machine to a halt. I must re-boot. More memory means more time before it happens.

I did use Unix when it first became available, but the first few baby steps were tough. You need permissions for USB devices.

I'm stuck or haven't tried to put Linux on a solid state drive and I haven't tried changing disk names (e.g. A USB stick). I'm running NFS to a RAID server.

"Visual Basic for Applications" is missing. e.g excel (Libre-Office Calc) and Video support sucks (WMP protected files).

I don't like where Linux goes now. Distributors are trying to emulate Windows, even the most rediculous stuff. Why?

Renting software is not for me. What if they rise prices to the level I cannot afford, and I cannot renew. Will I lose all my work then? No, I better stay away.

I don't like where Linux goes now. Distributors are trying to emulate Windows, even the most rediculous stuff. Why?

Renting software is not for me. What if they rise prices to the level I cannot afford, and I cannot renew. Will I lose all my work then? No, I better stay away.

To make Linux more user friendly, ie for the general public. Linux has always been known as something that us Nerds and Geeks know, but now almost anyone can use it with relative ease, especially if they are just surfing the web. Android is based off of linux.

I've used windows 10 preview and it was not stable at all, infact Id rather use ME.

You can't use mbr and efi to dual boot.
It caches loads of left over application files and if you access that folder it says 'access denied'.
The start menu does the same.
It has poor pc game compatibility (disks).
It spams you with notifications on the desktop.
If you have the performance options all selected in system properties (they are by default) you get a black screen when you logon instead of your desktop and everything.
Etc..

This wasn't too long ago so I doubt they can fix all that in a few months for the first real release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back