Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

It's not too late to give Tesla the recognition he deserves!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great! Now all we need is a photo of you wearing them ;)

I would be happy with seeing the T-shirt and hat Photo.

Somehow I missed this Thread, I would have enjoyed knowing and getting my shirt:(

Sorry to hear you missed it KV.

Anyway folks, I realize this thread has been dead for a few months, but I thought I should post an update. Here's a quick announcement from The Oatmeal: Announcement

Hi Matt

Brilliant :D The property has been saved. Still lots of work ahead to investigate possible tunnels, rooms under the Kodak building on top of it.

At least that is what I understand from the Oatmeal site.

Regards,
tvtech

I wish it was either closer to me or I lived closer to it. I would love to donate my spare time to help clean the place up! :D

Hi Matt

Brilliant :D The property has been saved. Still lots of work ahead to investigate possible tunnels, rooms under the Kodak building on top of it.

At least that is what I understand from the Oatmeal site.

Regards,
tvtech

Yes tvtech, they are in the very beginning stages, there is much more to come! :D

Matt

Yes tvtech, they are in the very beginning stages, there is much more to come! :D

Matt

Thank you Matt.

Oatmeal is great...imagine what still is waiting to be discovered :D On the property :)

As always,
tvtech

For those of you who are still following this thread--

Tesla would be 158 years old today, and the Tesla Science Center just received a very generous birthday gift from none other than Elon Musk, the CEO of Tesla Motors! Story can be found here.

Smart business; inexpensive marketing coupled with a write off.

Hi,

That's great news. I dont think he ever got what he really deserved for what he did. It's about time right?

Happy B-day, Nikola Tesla! I wore your hat today :cool:.

Elon Musk is an amazing person...

Hi,

That's great news. I don't think he ever got what he really deserved for what he did. It's about time right?

Tesla has a SI unit of measurement named after him (I don't remember one for Edison) meaning his name is forever etched in the history of physics and everyday use of magnetics. The man rightly has been awarded long before this moment for what he did and I second the 'Happy B-day, Nikola Tesla!'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_(unit)#mediaviewer/File:100RSD_front.jpg

Simply getting a unit of measurement named after him doesn't remotely make up for what he did. Tesla was the person who brought us AC, remote control, radio, and more. He literally invented the modern world, and 95% of it has never heard his name. Whether he has a unit named after him or not, he has not been fully rewarded for all he did in the technical field.

Hi,

Tesla has a SI unit of measurement named after him (I don't remember one for Edison) meaning his name is forever etched in the history of physics and everyday use of magnetics. The man rightly has been awarded long before this moment for what he did and I second the 'Happy B-day, Nikola Tesla!'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_(unit)#mediaviewer/File:100RSD_front.jpg

As DerStrom pointed out, his inventions were many and even today they are used all over the world in one form or another, yet the name for the unit did not get accepted until somewhere around 1960-ish.

My most often thought of of his inventions is AC, which conquered Edison's DC. Thankfully we dont have 200v DC lines running all around the US and other places in the world (yes there are a few places but very few).
When i was quite young, we went to visit the Edison museum which used to reside in NJ. We saw lots of amazing stuff, from light bulbs to a rotating theater on a circular railroad track to preserved unborn fetuses. Never a mention of Tesla though. That's what i think was very wrong. Somehow Edison's work history got pushed while Tesla's didnt.

Simply getting a unit of measurement named after him doesn't remotely make up for what he did. Tesla was the person who brought us AC, remote control, radio, and more. He literally invented the modern world, and 95% of it has never heard his name. Whether he has a unit named after him or not, he has not been fully rewarded for all he did in the technical field.

He literally invented the modern world? Sorry but that's a bit much. The guy was a top notch engineer and inventor, moving him to 'god' status only makes a parody of his real achievements that I truly admire.

He literally invented the modern world? Sorry but that's a bit much. The guy was a top notch engineer and inventor, moving him to 'god' status only makes a parody of his real achievements that I truly admire.

Read up on his work. Tesla has a MINIMUM of 278 patents to his name. These include (but by no means are limited to):

• New style of commutator for dynamos
  • Electric arc lamp
  • AC motor
  • AC generator
  • Transmission of Electricity over long distances
  • Distribution of Electricity
  • Types of transformers
  • Thermo-magnetic motor
  • Motor regulator (AC and DC)
  • Some types of AC rectification
  • Pyromagnetic generator
  • Reciprocating Engine
  • Several forms of incandescent light bulbs
  • Electric railroad system
  • AC volt/ammeter
  • Automotive ignition coil
  • Remote control
  • Radio
  • Wireless electrical transmission
  • Improvements to turbines
  • Pneumatic speedometers/other meters
  • Flow Meters
  • Frequency meters
  • Vertical take-off and landing of aerial vehicles
These are only a few of the definite patents Tesla has to his name. I challenge you to find a piece of technology nowadays that doesn't rely on any of these patents.

I'm not raising Tesla to god-like status, but people (apparently you as well) have no idea how important his work was, and still is, to modern technology.

Tesla did many great things in the application of electrical energy to practical devices and methods like poly-phase power but his contribution to the advancement of the fields of electrodynamics and physics in general was about nil because he was wrong or had a primitive understanding about the very nature of the forces he was using. That's not his fault as almost everyone else was wrong at that point in history but he continued to hold obsolete views on the nature of electricity long after most in his field had seen the light and had moved on to the next level of understanding from aether wave theory and classical electrodynamics to Einsteins GR/SR and related theories that have truly transformed the modern world.

Tesla 1935 NY times:
Einstein’s relativity work is a magnificent mathematical garb which fascinates, dazzles and makes people blind to the underlying errors. The theory is like a beggar clothed in purple whom ignorant people take for a king... its exponents are brilliant men but they are metaphysicists rather than scientists. -

1937:
“… Supposing that the bodies act upon the surrounding space causing curving of the same, it appears to my simple mind that the curved spaces must react on the bodies, and producing the opposite effects, straightening out the curves. Since action and reaction are coexistent, it follows that the supposed curvature of space is entirely impossible – But even if it existed it would not explain the motions of the bodies as observed. Only the existence of a field of force can account for the motions of the bodies as observed, and its assumption dispenses with space curvature. All literature on this subject is futile and destined to oblivion. So are all attempts to explain the workings of the universe without recognizing the existence of the ether and the indispensable function it plays in the phenomena.“
“My second discovery was of a physical truth of the greatest importance. As I have searched the entire scientific records in more than a half dozen languages for a long time without finding the least anticipation, I consider myself the original discoverer of this truth, which can be expressed by the statement: There is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment.” — Nikola Tesla

Last edited:
These are only a few of the definite patents Tesla has to his name. I challenge you to find a piece of technology nowadays that doesn't rely on any of these patents.

I'm not raising Tesla to god-like status, but people (apparently you as well) have no idea how important his work was, and still is, to modern technology.

I would suggest you are - and are certainly making him out to be FAR more important than he was :D

As for your list of patents, how many of his patents actually work?, and how many were his original work - much of Tesla's 'inventions' never worked, and never could - yet he seems to inspire admiration way beyond his actual accomplishments.

Not that I'm knocking him in any way, I'm just not holding him up to be 'saint' as you appear to be :D

He was one just of many inventors from the period, from many different countries - he had a few successes, and many failures - as was normal.

Tesla did many great things in the application of electrical energy to practical devices and methods like poly-phase power but his contribution to the advancement of the fields of electrodynamics and physics in general was about nil because he was wrong or had a primitive understanding about the very nature of the forces he was using. That's not his fault as almost everyone else was wrong at that point in history but he continued to hold obsolete views on the nature of electricity long after most in his field had seen the light and had moved on to the next level of understanding from aether wave theory and classical electrodynamics to Einsteins GR/SR and related theories that have truly transformed the modern world.

Obviously Tesla made many mistakes, I am not denying that. I am looking solely at the impact of his successes. Sure, many of his theories were based in complete nonsense, but at least they never caused harm to scientific thinking. His successes, however, revolutionized the world.

I would suggest you are - and are certainly making him out to be FAR more important than he was :D

As for your list of patents, how many of his patents actually work?, and how many were his original work - much of Tesla's 'inventions' never worked, and never could - yet he seems to inspire admiration way beyond his actual accomplishments.

Not that I'm knocking him in any way, I'm just not holding him up to be 'saint' as you appear to be :D

He was one just of many inventors from the period, from many different countries - he had a few successes, and many failures - as was normal.

The patents I listed are some of the ones that have been proven to work, albeit sometimes just on a small-scale, such as the wireless electricity transmission. But even just looking at the obvious successes--AC generators and motors, transformers, power transmission, remote control, and radio--Those alone revolutionized the entire world, and most aspects of modern technology are still based on at least one of these.

Yes, he had many failures, but once again the failures are not the point--the point is how his successes changed technology and brought us into the modern age.

The patents I listed are some of the ones that have been proven to work, albeit sometimes just on a small-scale, such as the wireless electricity transmission. But even just looking at the obvious successes--AC generators and motors, transformers, power transmission, remote control, and radio--Those alone revolutionized the entire world, and most aspects of modern technology are still based on at least one of these.

But those patents you listed aren't even all credited to Tesla, I would suggest he was applying for patents based on work done elsewhere, or work that had already been patented (such as radio).

As for 'proved to work', that's pretty vague - particularly as you quote the 'wireless power transmission' which has NEVER been proved to work, and never worked in his own experiments. Back in those days, particularly in the USA, they granted patents VERY easily, for loads of things that couldn't possibly work - and 'working' wasn't even a requirement for a patent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back