Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this possible (DC to DC step up)

Status
Not open for further replies.
joecool85 said:
I want to get +/-24 volts out of my car's 12v system. Is that possible?

Yes, it's what's used in 'high power' car amps. It's called an inverter, it's a SMPS that basically converts the DC to AC, feeds it through a transformer, and then converts it back to DC again. They generally have feedback from the secondary, to regulate the output voltage.

A LOT though depends on exactly what you are wanting to do, and how much power you need!.

I checked jameco and partsexpress and stopped there lol. Thanks for the link. I don't think I'll use them though, looks a shade complicated.

How hard would it be to get +/-15 out of an automotive system? Or even +/-12? I'm thinking of using a TDA2030 for another automotive project.

Nigel Goodwin said:
How about using a couple of TDA1562Q instead?. They provide 30W RMS from a 12V supply!.
If your car battery is being charged at 14.4V, the TDA1562Q provides 55W at low distortion to a 4 ohm speaker.

I wonder if you can hear it switch its supply voltage?

Attachments

• tda1562q.png
    tda1562q.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 461
joecool85 said:
I checked jameco and partsexpress and stopped there lol. Thanks for the link. I don't think I'll use them though, looks a shade complicated.

How hard would it be to get +/-15 out of an automotive system? Or even +/-12? I'm thinking of using a TDA2030 for another automotive project.

It's a LOT more complicated building a DC/DC converter than using the IC I suggested above!.

Use a simple bridged amp for car radios. They give about 14W into a 4 ohm speaker with low distortion at clipping. About the same amount of power as an LM1875 or TDA2030 that uses a voltage doubler circuit.

joecool85 said:
Do you have an example of such a circuit?
Philips makes more than 76 amp ICs and ST Micro make at least 40. Here is a simple stereo amp from Philips. The datasheets usually have a pcb layout for the circuit.

Attachments

• 14w_per_ch_stereo_amp.png
    14w_per_ch_stereo_amp.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 425
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back