Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this Incremental encoder working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming you are replying to my post, the supply to the sensor can be 12V as stated but the pic input only need a pullup to it's own 3.3V supply.

Mike.
Hi P, ( I try to make it clear who I'm replying to, to save confusion)
I've been following the conversation, but would someone make a drawing please? I would hate to 'pop' the encoder at this or any other stage.
C.

If you're using a pic with internal pullups then you can connect the sensor outputs to the pic inputs and turn on the weak pullups. Or you can connect a 10k resistor from Vdd of the pic (3.3V) to the pic input pin. The encoder would, of course, still need to be supplied with 12V.

Mike.

If you're using a pic with internal pullups then you can connect the sensor outputs to the pic inputs and turn on the weak pullups. Or you can connect a 10k resistor from Vdd of the pic (3.3V) to the pic input pin. The encoder would, of course, still need to be supplied with 12V.

Mike.
Hi P,
In the previous oscilloscope tests, I was guided towards, 'say' 1K pullups, which worked in the tests. So is 1K ok?
C.

Hi P,
In the previous oscilloscope tests, I was guided towards, 'say' 1K pullups, which worked in the tests. So is 1K ok?
C.

Yes, but no need for that low (I wouldn't dream of using such a low value) - the internal pull-ups should be fine.

However, there's been a lot of crap in this thread about zeners and extra resistors, none of that is required.

The output of the encoder is O/C, so (as Pommie said) you simply power the encoder from 12V, BUT the pullups go to the 3.3V supply of the PIC (or you simply enable the internal weak pullups).

Yes, but no need for that low (I wouldn't dream of using such a low value) - the internal pull-ups should be fine.

However, there's been a lot of crap in this thread about zeners and extra resistors, none of that is required.

The output of the encoder is O/C, so (as Pommie said) you simply power the encoder from 12V, BUT the pullups go to the 3.3V supply of the PIC (or you simply enable the internal weak pullups).
Hi N,
Ok, thanks, and understood.
Best not to call suggestions CRAP, I'm happy to receive all suggestions, which usually get filtered out by more conversation. Anyway, I found out how those Zener diodes, I've been hording work :)
Cheers, C.

Hi,
1st July, and I've finally added the ENCODER into my transmitter, and it is incrementing as it should :)

NOTE: The voltage seems to be a bit critical. >5V
Thanks,
C.

Here is what you have:
Specifications

Project Encoder
Exterior φ38×35.5mm
Shaft Diameter: φ6mm
Axis stopper platform: High 5mm, 20mm
Resolution 360 pulses / rev.
Output signal form A · B two-phase
The maximum mechanical speed 5000rpm
The response frequency 20KHZ
Supply voltage DC 5V ~ 24V
Output Type Voltage Output
Wires length 150cm
Features:
- Light weight and small size.
- By rotating the grating disk and optocoupler direction which generate counting pulses.
- Easy installation.
- Fits for measuring the rotational speed of the object , angle, acceleration, and length measurement.
Output:
AB two-phase quadrature output rectangular pulse ,the circuit output is NPN open collector output type ,the output of this type can and with internal pull-up resistor is directly connected MCU or PLC ,such as 51 single or for Mitsubishi PLC (PLC input mode should be connected to 0V switch function ).
Note: If the encoder is not connected to the device can not be directly oscilloscope oscilloscope ( open collector output without pull-up resistor when there is no voltage output ) If you want the oscilloscope in AB two-phase output with two pull-up resistors.
Fitment:
Suitable for a variety of intelligent control displacement measurement ,automatic fixed-length automatic guillotine paper machine,steel cut length control ,civilian measured height human scale,students racing robots.
Wiring Output : A phase, B phase, Vcc positive supply, V0, the shield wire.
Connection: Green = A phase, white = B phase, red = power +, black = power -
Note: AB two -phase outputs must not be connected directly to VCC, otherwise, they will burn the output transistor.

As mentioned you need a pullup resistor between the A output and Vcc and the B output and Vcc. It should work fine with a Vcc of 5 Volts but you can up that and as the name implies you should get 360 pulses per revolution or a pulse for each degree of rotation. The output would be measured at the A & B outputs which have the open collector pullup resistors installed. That's about all there is to it.

Ron

Remember the pullups need to go to the pics Vcc especially is the pic is running at 3.3V.

Mike.

Hi R and M,
I have pullups to 3.3V.
The Encoder is working on APP 10V, and the PIC at 3.3V and working well and counting up 0-359
Thanks, C.

Attachments

• POSCOUNT.jpg
    POSCOUNT.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 101
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back