Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is there any Android Smart TV with Upgradable hardware ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dhruv Kaur

I am interested to buy a new android smart TV which should have a upgradable hardware system so my smart TV wont get outdated after a period of time.

Welcome to ETO!
I'd be very surprised if such a TV is sold. Manufacturers want you to buy complete new TVs, not replace bits of them :).

I am interested to buy a new android smart TV which should have a upgradable hardware system so my smart TV wont get outdated after a period of time.

Hardware upgrades are readily available and price depends on size and resolution you want. For example, most 55" 4K Samsung's can be upgrades for about $700. Simply unplug the power cord from the back of the set, remove the monitor from the piece of furniture or wall mount, then put the new Hardware in its place. Then pug in the power cord.

there are 2 or 3 replaceable parts in a TV, the panel, the main board and the power supply (which sometimes is part of the main board). the main board will only work with the panel it's designed for. there's really nothing there to upgrade. the main pcb is basically a single board computer, with memory and flash soldered to it. there are no memory slots or expansion connectors as there are in desktop or laptop computers. the only thing that can be upgraded is the firmware. Samsung has the linux source code available for their devices (TV, Bluray players, etc...) so, theoretically you could play around with the firmware, but that's all. there are resources like this that have the tools for making smart TV apps. so, if after the warranty expires, the manufacturer stops producing firmware updates for your TV, you might be able to update the firmware with your own update, especially if there's a big security hole that is discovered in the TV's firmware.

Last edited:
The latest version of Amazon Firestick TV is $49, Google ChromeCast is $39. Just plug into HDMI port of any tv, including Dumb TVs, talk to the Firstick Remote or Google ChromCast remote and suddenly everything works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back