Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is there a quick connect for this type of solder terminal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack.Straw

Hi guys. I'm working on a prototype project where i'm using these 12v lighted rocker switches (image below). All the other project's external components are the through-hole style that inset trough a hole from the inside and get secured on the outside with a nut. The switch is the lone item that has to be pushed through the hole from the outside. When testing things i find myself removing the electronics from the case, making modifications, and then putting it all back in. This one switch is the problem child because i have unsolder it and the re-solder it in order to do that. Does anyone know if they make any kind of quick connect that fits onto the type of terminals on this switch? I realize that i could use 3 in-line wire connectors to accomplish this, but that would be inconvenient in my case. Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Those look like solder lugs. That particular switch is available with 1/4" quick connects like these.
Otherwise, I'd just have the other end of the switch's wires going to a connector on the PC board. I find the Tyco MTA connectors to be handy for that kind of application. It's a much cleaner and standard way to do things.

Denny, thanks for the reply! Those are indeed solder lugs. I was just hoping someone had come up with a quick connect that worked for them. I already own a bunch of these switches and don't really want to buy more. I already use MTC style connectors on my circuit boards, but the swtich is controlling power to a number of different devices. It's a very tight installation and adding the switch's wires, even with something as easy as MTA terminals, isn't really an option. Running the lead wires out of the switch's installation hole is much more convenient. I was just hoping for a way to quickly connect and disconnect the switch. Anyway, thanks for the response!

What are the exact dimensions of the switch pins?

There are push-on terminals for other tag sizes than 1/4" - eg. the switch tags look like these may fit?
They are for 2.8 x 0.8 mm blades.

**broken link removed**

Jenkins, thanks! I had some of those laying around and i just tried it out. Those work great! With a little modification they fit on, very snug and secure. Woot! Thank a bunch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back