Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is Basic Stamp The Way To Go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

windozeuser

I always Wanted to get into programming embedded systems. I took a look at parallax's website and seen there Basic Stamp 2 Modules. They Seem awesome, but what I want to know is are they practical to learn and start out on embedded systems. PBASIC seems pretty cool, but I know C and some x86 Assembly.

Please post comments

I was checking out there Basic II Discovery Kit with the What is a microcontroller pack

Thanks

Basic stamps are more like educational kits. Go for something more popular like PICs or AVRs and save on the platform porting effort in future.

Thanks For your FAST response Almost like Instant Messenging :)

Is there anyone that sells a PIC,Programmer, and Book Like a kit type deal?

You'll find programmer kits for pic's at microchip themselves...
www.microchip.com

or you can make your own simple programmer.
there's tons of info for pic's on the web, no need for a 'book', whatever that may be...

checkmate said:
Basic stamps are more like educational kits. Go for something more popular like PICs or AVRs and save on the platform porting effort in future.

Yup, in fact, Basic Stamps contain a PIC, it's just used in an unconventional way (so it's not all that practical of experience), at least 10x slower, and costs 20x too much.

The BASIC STAMP was a very clever device for it's time, but it's time was a LONG time ago. Now they are far too expensive for far too low a performance - for the cost of a couple of STAMP's you can buy a BASIC compiler, and make as many circuits as you want, which will run many times faster.

However, (in my opinion!) you should have a decent working knowledge of PIC assembler to use a compiler effectively, I suggest you have a look at my PIC tutorials.

Thank you all very much :)

Yeah Basic Stamps Cost way too much money, and are about as useless as visual Basic in a Unix Environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back