Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is anyone good at web design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectroMaster

Administrator
Hi,

I've been trying to create a nice Christmas decoration (lights, tinsel, etc) for the top header on ETO but haven't been successful. I'm wondering if any of our members wants to give it a try?

I'm looking for something simple and not to 'in your face'..

Regards,
EM

Last edited:
Last edited:
Do you have a link to the banner? As in just the banner? Viewing the page source I can't find it but it has been years since I did stuff like this and likely have forgotten more than I actually ever knew. :)

Ron

The header image is located at:

**broken link removed**

It's a spite which is a new way to do images on the net, basically it's 3 images in one. Somewhere in that I am hoping for something festive :)

DerStrom, I checked out the resources and think they're great. Lots of good stuff..

Last edited:
Thanks EM I'll see what happens. :)

Ron

While I have read about sprites I have never used them. My take is the sprites (buttons in this case) get added to the background image which is what was linked to. The linked to image being a .jpg file.

Unfortunately here at work I am somewhat limited with graphics software as well as web software. They don't seem to feel that Test Electrical Engineering needs fun software. :)

Attached are a few thoughts, while nothing stunning they are simple. Once home with more tools I may be able to do more.

What file formats are suitable for background use and when I downloaded the linked file it seemed small and that was strange.

Ron

Attachments

• Electro Tech1.png
    Electro Tech1.png
    74.9 KB · Views: 261
  • Electro Tech2 .png
    Electro Tech2 .png
    81.7 KB · Views: 276
Works for me, Ron. And if EM wanted to keep the blue, that would still look good, I think.

I have a few I like better. Like I said, limited while here at work. Wishing I had saved vacation days to have been off this week. Gets real quiet around here over the holidays. I work till Thursday then off till Jan 3rd....Anyway:

Damn, I lost one. :) Hate it when I do that.

Thanks for the comments guys. :)

Attachments

• Electro Tech3.png
    Electro Tech3.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Thanks guys, I guess we will see what EM thinks. :) If I knew what he liked I could make one from scratch with the same dimensions as the linked to banner which I think is 730 X 90 pixels at 72 pixels to the inch.

The more he describes the more myself or anyone else can come up with. If we come up with something good then like all Christmas Decorations it can get dragged out once a year and used.

Ron

Last edited:
Ron... The picture is actually in three... the main logo on the right... the label on the left and a single pixel row in the middle (for stretching ).... Dream weaver can match these pictures and I think it has to be a jpg

Last edited:
Hi Ian, the image linked to that I downloaded is a .jpg image and I posted .png files. Anyway, I see it all as a single merged layer .jpg image. Then too I no longer have any web development software around here, let alone Dream Weaver (talk about sweet stuff). :)

Also, I have never used Sprites unless I once mixed Sprite and Jack Daniels. Years ago I did play around a little with web pages but hell that was 10 years back. Somewhere around here I do have a full blown version of Adobe Photo Shop uninstalled that is a few years old, maybe Photo Shop CS4. Not even sure where the hell that is.However, as to web development stuff I don't have anything good. Can anyone here work from the linked to image or have any good web development skills?

Ron

We used to do this when making game sprites for animation.... several pictures to call one by one... this is all this is Do you want me to change your png into this css sprite image?

The only thing is can EM change the sprite definitions as the " seasons greetings, happy holiday" gets in the way of the third picture... I'll have to move it to the start of that text..

Last edited:
Ian, absolutely go for it. Move things or whatever you feel will work. I need to read more and get a better handle on the sprite concept. I understand the reasoning behind it. Anyway, absolutely go for it. :)

Thanks
Ron

hi Ron,
Like the graphic.:D

Any chance it be changed to Christmas Greetings and not just Seasons, which could be any time. ;)

After all it is Christmas

Regards
Eric

Last edited:
We have just inserted YOUR png into dreamweaver... works as well... the picture is divided into 450x90 for S1, 1x90 for s2 and s3 is the rest

we had to move a bit of holly and the merry Christmas writing... but it should work now..

We made them EXACTLY the same size as the original so EM could pickup and drop them in

Attachments

• s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 250
  • s2.PNG
    s2.PNG
    134 bytes · Views: 252
hi Ron,
Like the graphic.:D

Any chance it be changed to Christmas Greetings and not just Seasons, which could be any time. ;)

After all it is Christmas

Regards
Eric

:) My wife continously gets me on that. I only use the Happy Holidays and Seqason's Greetings thing because for example today is the first day of Hannukah I believe and who know what else is going on. I have fond memories of when things were simple like "Merry Christmas". Here in the US you know we have a big push to always be "Politically Correct" you know. Least I not offend anyone. Kathy (most patient wife) sees things different. It's Christmas so for her it is always Merry Christmas & A Happy New Year. :)

Anyway, any changes are absolutely cool with me. If I change it and we know what EM wants then poor Ian would need to fix it like he just had to do.

Thanks Ian very much. Now I just may have to run out and buy myself Dream Weaver as a Christmas gift. I may as well also install that Adobe Photoshop version I have. I have webspace that has been a disaster for years so I may as well learn something and fix it. Besides as the week ends I have some time off for the holidays to learn a little. :)

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back