Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR LED overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't mentioned a use because I don't have a use for it yet. I'm new to electronics and it was a cheap kit to demonstrate how infra red transmitters / receivers work; I'm just experimenting with it.

Could you explain how you calculated these values? I'm somewhat confused about how you arrived at the 47Ω and 470mA values.

Hi giftiger_wunsch,

the calculation can easily be derived from my former post, in which I put down the formula to calculate for forward current.

But here for your satisfaction and possible learning process (what I'm hoping strongly) here are the values at which you should arrive using Ohm's law.

Example 1: You want to arrive at 100mA forward current at a supply voltage of 6V and a forward voltage drop of 1.3V. The values to put in the formula are: RV(Ω)=(Us (6V)) - Uf (1.3V)/ If(0.1A)
RV=47Ω

Example 2: Arriving at a forward current of 470mA the formula is: If(A)=(Us(6V)) - Uf(1.3V)/10Ω
If=0.470A (=470mA)

Friendly advise: RTFA!

No forum member helps you BSing.

Boncuk

Never mind, I don't know what 'RTFA' or 'BSing' are meant to be acronyms for, but I think I may have to give up with electronics, I don't know enough about it to even start learning about it.

Thanks for the help.

Eh, don't give up.

The circuit you're starting with doesn't sound very easy and may not be the best place to start.

I am also a rank beginner. I have an ambitious project but I have broken it into small pieces, each of which is an exciting adventure of experiments. :D

My first circuit was to make an lone LED light up. I should have burned the LED up but didn't, only because my power supply is too weak or perhaps the LED has some kind of overload protection. So I got smarter. it didn't take long to get a 555 chirping, and then run the pulses into a counter, and then hook LEDs up to the counter to make a useless binary connter thingy. Fun!

Your first stop is "Ohms Law". Google and read. There is probably nothing more important for learning electronics. Ohm Law was used in this thread to determine the likely demise of your components.

Then look at voltage dividers, which are 2 resistor circuits. They will help you apply Ohms law.

It really helps to have a knowledgeable pal, however. I am fortunate in that one of my friends is a mad scientist.

To continue experimentation there are a few tools you simply must have such as a prototyping breadboard and a collection of common goodies. In fact, my friend had me get 4 small prototyping boards (about $1.50 ea) and a larger one (about $4.) Now my lame 555/counter circuits are on two of them and I am failing at using phototransistors on a 3rd :D

Don't give up.

Your first stop is "Ohms Law". Google and read. There is probably nothing more important for learning electronics. Ohm Law was used in this thread to determine the likely demise of your components.

Then look at voltage dividers, which are 2 resistor circuits. They will help you apply Ohms law.

I understand Ohm's law, but I don't understand what Boncuk said about forward currents, or what the majority of the notation represented in the equation he provided: If(A), UB, Uf, etc... I also thought I had a pretty firm understanding of voltage, current, resistance, etc. but the more I read the more confused I get about voltage :confused:

blueroomelectronics said:
A good starter project might be the popular Joule Thief.

Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back