Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR LED diode replacement in TV remote control

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's pretty rare for the IR emitter to die. The diode test on your DVM might not pick it up either, The camera is the easiest test. Check all of the buttons.

It's pretty rare for the IR emitter to die. The diode test on your DVM might not pick it up either, The camera is the easiest test. Check all of the buttons.

To be fair, presumably his remote isn't working at all? - which means it's almost certainly not putting out any IR - so it 'probably' wouldn't acheive a great deal with a camera - unless the TV itself is faulty?, but that's much rarer still. As an ex-TV engineer I did change a number of IR receiver IC's over the years, but despite been a Sony service agent I don't remember ever changing a Sony one?.

I checked again IR diode, and it's ok, it flashes when checking with multimeter.
There was some grease on PCB and buttons from inside, presumably sillicon oil, I have wiped out all with alcohol and let it dry.
Remote still doesn't work, I have to test more.

If it has not already been mentioned a quick test is to point a digital camera at the remote and press one of the buttons. You should see the LED flashing as many digital cameras respond to IR. (Not all do as there could be an infra red filter between the lens and camera chip.)

Les.

most modern digital cameras have IR filters or it may be barely noticeable.

also, if the voltage drop across an IR LED is about 1.2 to 1.6V, you can be fairly certain it works. If over 2v, there may be an open circuit failure of the LED. If you get no voltage measurement, it is a driver circuit failure - you can test them in circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back