Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR LAsER

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny you should mention that! I was just thinking about the same thing recently. I was looking for a way to increase the range of an infrared remote (playing a halloween prank on my neighbor :D ) and I thought of laser diodes. I decided to just experiment a bit and I found a couple of things: One- if your remote takes AA batteries, the current will be too high and will fry the diode without additional circuitry. Two- in order for it to really do much good, you will probably want to collimate the beam to some extent. For this you will (of course) need a combination of lenses which would take up extra space. There may be other reasons why it is difficult, but I stopped experimenting after frying three or four of my IR laser diodes as they were rather difficult to find :p I'm sure there are plenty of ways that you could make it work, but it would be good for you to know that you probably will have to make some major modifications to your present remote.
I am looking forward to reading the other responses to this thread. I am quite curious myself ;)
Der Strom

Last edited:
I thought about this too, for a long range TV-B-Gone. Don't know the specs on the laser diode, so never really took the chance. I know that TV remotes drive the LEDs pretty hard, and laser diodes are kind of delicate. Figure the beam hitting a window or curtain would spread the beam enough to work. Little concerned about eye damage...

That's very true--Eye damage could be a real problem. It would probably be a good idea not to use an IR laser remote in a room with several people.... I suppose it all depends on the device for which the OP is hoping to use the remote.
Der Storm

so far i got my 300mw 808nm IR laser that runs nice @ 6-8V directly to a 555 timer, since then i'v replaced the 555 to a PICuC with a transistor for it, still on a 6.5v source(dead 9V battery), so far the code is more difficult than i thought since "wait 1us" waits a little longer than that...

keeping the current @ or under 250mW seems to drive OK...

I'm just worried about the tv detecting my 808nm light, normal diodes are 850nm.....also I am having problems finding code for the HITACHI TV im using, using my scope i am detecting 6 bits, could that be right?

I've used a red laser pointer at 38 kHz, and an IR receiver module. Was hard to line up, at about 50 feet. Your laser diode should work fine. You could probably use the code for the Attiny85 TV-B-Gone, it's in C, so should be portable. I don't know much about PIC or C, for that matter, but it's open source.

TV-B-Gone Kit - Download files

PIC version...
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
You guys are using 300mW IR lasers?! I realise they are pulsed, so the average power is much lower, but isn't that over kill?

You guys are using 300mW IR lasers?! I realise they are pulsed, so the average power is much lower, but isn't that over kill?

Well if the op miss's the TV set and the laser hits 3 mice hiding behind the set we all know what will happen........

You know that took me a good 7 seconds to get that.... see how they run!

i think that is 300 non pulsed, but thats what i had, besides, now i can turn the tele off down the block!,

mine also emits traces of normal red, so its easier to sight,

I prolly shouldn't ask this, but has ne1 heard of PRIORITY GREEN

not that i know of, I never would, i hear you get charged for supplying too.......but it could still be more effective than a strobe, for the ones who can use it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back