Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IPC Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not terribly familiar with the IPC standards for layout - are there some good online resources that will help me comply with them without purchasing/reading through the entire set of standards? Maybe a basic tutorial?

I look up standards on an as-needed basis. The most generic one I can think of would be IPC-2221. I believe the latest version is IPC-2221B, which you will most likely need to purchase ($71 USD for IPC members). The previous version can be found here: **broken link removed**

However, keep in mind that some items in IPC-2221A have changed since it was printed, which is the purpose for the '2221B document.

There is not one single IPC standard that covers all aspects of a layout, rather the list of IPC standards is quite long.

This is true, I recently had to reference IPC-6013 ("Qualification and Performance Specification for Flexible Printed Boards", not limited to layout) and IPC-2141A ("Design Guide for High-Speed Controlled Impedance Circuit Boards"). There are probably hundreds of others.

Like I said, these standards are usually referenced on an as-needed basis. Learning them all at once will not help much, if at all.

I need to up my DFM game - actually 7351 looks like it might have some info on this. I take it there's no online source that summarizes what's in the standards enough to be able to buy the right ones. Or possibly just somewhere that gives a good DFM background. I'm sure I'll end up reading a bunch eventually, but something to ease me into it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back