Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inverter topology choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

barkerben

Hi,

I'm in the very early stages of putting together the design for a DC/AC inverter running 24v dc ->230v ac. One of the major design considerations seems to be how long to stay in dc for. At the extremes, you can either invert 12v and step up with a large transformer, or use a DC/DC converter to get 230v then invert. I can see there must be some compromise between DC/DC converter switching losses that will increase with step up ratio, and losses associated with a large transformer, which will become less as the DC converter output rises, but have not had much luck quantifying this compromise. If anone out there has prior experience/words of wisdom, they would be gratefully recieved.

Cheers,

Ben

barkerben said:
Hi,

I'm in the very early stages of putting together the design for a DC/AC inverter running 24v dc ->230v ac. One of the major design considerations seems to be how long to stay in dc for. At the extremes, you can either invert 12v and step up with a large transformer, or use a DC/DC converter to get 230v then invert. I can see there must be some compromise between DC/DC converter switching losses that will increase with step up ratio, and losses associated with a large transformer, which will become less as the DC converter output rises, but have not had much luck quantifying this compromise. If anone out there has prior experience/words of wisdom, they would be gratefully recieved.

Well first off, a DC/DC converter is no such thing, it's a DC/AC/DC converter - you would normally use a high frequency AC to transform the inoput voltage upwards (which is why it's converted back to DC afterwards).

Once you have a high voltage DC you then chop it to give a 50Hz AC signal, usually using a stepped waveform which better approximates a sinewave - items requiring a 'proper' sinewave mains input usually work off these supplies.

The older way is to convert from DC to AC at 50Hz, using a square wave, this is far more inefficient and a great deal heavier - plus many items won't work off a square wave.

As I see it, there's no competition, go for the modern high frequency (cheap and efficient) system, that provides a better output waveform.

Yes - I had been thinking of going for Quasi-sine. not only is it easier and more efficient that full sin, but the stepped waveform should allow deadtime to avoid any risk of shorting out the bridge.

I realise that you can go via AC using a bridge circuit and rectifier, but surely a simple boost converter circuit is just DC/DC...

So the argument for stepping up the DC supply before swapping to AC is that it avoids the use of a large, heavy, and lossy transformer? I had a peek inside a comericail inverter, which appeared to be almost entirely switch mode, with only one tiny coil, which may just have been an inductor for a step up converter. I had a go at quantifying the transformer losses vs. converter switching losses, but got a bit bogged down.

Thanks for the response,

Ben

It's unlikely to be a simple DC/DC converter if it carries signficant power. The typical step-up converter doesn't make very good use of the inductance, which is the expensive and hard-to-design part. It's more likely a high frequency switching transformer, much more effective in terms of inductor size and efficiency, particularly when higher buck/boost ratios are involved.

barkerben said:
I realise that you can go via AC using a bridge circuit and rectifier, but surely a simple boost converter circuit is just DC/DC...

No, it converts to AC first, and usually uses a single recifier to convert back to DC. Anything switch-mode is AC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back