Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inverter idea, but can I adjust the lowvoltage cutoff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HR19

So I'd like to build my own inverter using LiPo batteries with a safe lowvoltage cutoff of around 2.75V/cell. I found this inverter board but it's designed for SLA's with a low voltage cutoff of 10.5. That means on a 36V system, 10s LiPo will still have around 20% (I think; estimation I guess) charge when the cutoff hits of 31.5V. Is there an easy way to modify this item to change that cutoff voltage a little? The device itself can take 24-72V so I imagine the setting switch is mostly for that cutoff voltage safety, but I'm not sure if there's more complicated electronics that would be damaged if say we ran 50V through the 24V setting.

EDIT: or even to disregard/bypass the low voltage cutoff altogether.

US $78.97 30%OFF | SUNYIMA Pure Sine Wave Inverter Board Inversor Circuit Board 24V-72V to 110V 220V 2000W-9000W Power Converter

Last edited:
It will be fine.

The cutoff voltage should never in practice be below 3V and 3.2V is "flat" level, for any LiPo cells made in the last 20 years or so.
See the solid line plot on this graph; the dotted line is for an older cell chemistry used in the 90s:
final2.jpg

If you discharge below 3V they should be recharged soon after and not left flat for any length of time.

If lithium cells are allowed to stand either at very low voltage or held at maximum voltage, they decay far faster than if the voltage averages around mid-range. Reducing the charge "span", eg. 90% to 10% significantly increases the overall life of the cells.

See the articles below:
**broken link removed**

A more modern LiFeP04 cell is charged to 3.65V max, is nominal at 3.0V to 3.2V and has a minimum allowed voltage of 2.5V but a cutoff at 2.75V is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back