Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Internet Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, my super-fast cable internet is bogged down due to bandwidth. The cable is jammed with hundreds of ordinary analog TV channels, about the same number of digital channels, numerous high-definition channels and so many pay-per-views that I can't count them all

Maybe in 100 years, Sri Lanka will get this technology. :lol:

although dialup modems are usually labeled 56kbps, limit is set at about 53k by most providers. if the provider doesn't cap the speed and you are lucky to get good modem and have good phone line and have plenty of time to try out some hacks you can pass the 56kbps limit. some 10 years ago i used to live in St. Louis MO and used Prodigy as provider. after months of search in newsgroups and various forums and number of tweaks and firmware upgrades, four different modems etc. I was able to get sustained download speeds comparable to ISDN (sustained 14kb/sec on large files, sometimes speed would climb up to 18kb but it wouldn't last for longer than 40-50sec.). I was so happy to 'beat the system' and show off and then my friend and next door neighbour got DSL which just became available. off course i had to have it too and as I moved to Canada (feb 2000) I finaly got cable. in the beginning speed was awsome. I was able to get download speeds of about 1mb/sec (nights) and about 440-460kb/sec during the day. as more people got the same service and Rogers and @Home started having some problems, speed went down, I rarely see more than 300kb/sec.
my brother lives in holland was on dialup all the time and i was so frustrated with lousy connection they have. i kept on bugging him and guess what. he just bought new apartment and got high speed connection. he says it's 10Mbps both ways. damit. our test transfers confirmed that his side is fast both ways (mine is much slower with uploads). why can't i have some 200Mbps for now until 100Gbps becomes common? extreme version is available but it costs a bit more. :lol:

audioguru said:
I know, my super-fast cable internet is bogged down due to bandwidth. The cable is jammed with hundreds of ordinary analog TV channels, about the same number of digital channels, numerous high-definition channels and so many pay-per-views that I can't count them all

Maybe in 100 years, Sri Lanka will get this technology. :lol:

Most cable providers (in my experience the 3 different ones I've had) they only allot so much bandwidth to each user to prevent such data rate problems like that. However I doubt its the same everywhere.

Here there is a new company that is providing VDSL up to 50 Mbit/s.This technology should work up to 5 Km from the phone central.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back