Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Intermittent working PICs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see, was just thinking ahead . You probably know PK3 requires FW also AP downloads for the device attached. I believe latest PK3 FW is 01.36.10 ( downloaded from MPLABX v2>35 ) But MPLAB 8.xx should do it for you

Hi,

I contacted Squirrel labs, regarding if they are clones or not. He said that they are, but have only had good things said about them, and don't hesitate to return it if unhappy.

The originals are most likely made in China, perhaps in the same factory.

Camerart.

Hi,

I contacted Squirrel labs, regarding if they are clones or not. He said that they are, but have only had good things said about them, and don't hesitate to return it if unhappy.

The originals are most likely made in China, perhaps in the same factory.

Camerart.
I've bought one myself.... I will be testing it thoroughly... I have the same policy remark from Squirrel labs..

Mine just arrived... I have run it on MPLAB v8.xx and the stand alone programmer.. Initial thoughts...Good.

As there are MANY jumpers.. Just check your configuration first... If you have a 28 pin dip then just set J1 to pos 3..

Mine just arrived... I have run it on MPLAB v8.xx and the stand alone programmer.. Initial thoughts...Good.

As there are MANY jumpers.. Just check your configuration first... If you have a 28 pin dip then just set J1 to pos 3..

Hi Roger,

Mine has just arrived too. I've never used MPLAB before.

Moved J1 to pos 3. I got the result: 5V or 3.3V, I clicked ok, then I got the result No VDD when trying to connect.

(I can hear "now the fun really starts...:)" from somewhere)

Thanks, Camerart.

Attachments

• 5v or 3.3V.jpg
    5v or 3.3V.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 227
  • No VDD.jpg
    No VDD.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 283
Your confusing an old man... thought 18F2431 was 5v Vdd and did not zif board have own supply ?

Edit ... :):)

Your confusing an old man... thought 18F2431 was 5v Vdd and did not zif board have own supply ?

Edit ... :):)
For some reason pickit 3 highest voltage setting is 3.5v which is enough to program with...

That is not universally true. My PK3 does 5.0 volts. What you are seeing is probably a function of the device chosen, like in the configure window in MPLab. Be sure a non-LF device is chosen.

John

John I was going to say that...:meh:

Like these little faces ,,,want to use this one someday.:grumpy:

I'm testing on a basic pic18f45k20... These things run from 2~5v... I'm going to try a pic18f452 ( got an old one somewhere )

Just on a side note.... This (other manufacturer ) pickit3 hangs the computer sometimes whilst uploading a new AP... Only happens on the stand alone programmer.... I know this software isn't really supported by Microchip but a genuine one seems okay.. I have two genuine pickit3's and they never do this.... I hope this isn't a sign of things to come..

I was hoping to send his to a good customer to aid in the updating of my firmware!!!

I've had "real" PK3 hang after AP , certainly with early MPLABX versions , (guessing) not since v2.xx . MPLAB 8.xxx can't remember :grumpy:

Ian, I just confirmed that PK3 and ICD3 both show a max voltage of 3.5V for the !8F45K20 and 5.0V for the 18F452. I suspect you knew that. I guess MC dropped the LF for some chips.

John

Hi,

Finished the ZIF circuit.

Tried it with PicKit2. The 5x 18F2431 showed: program, erase, blank check all showing OK. The verify, showed 'Failed to verify at programming address 0x0000' error. All didn't work in the circuit.

Tried it with PicKi3, the 'good' 18F2431 programmed ok, and worked perfectly in the circuit. The other 4x verified ok. There is a LED flash in the program which flashed ok, but didn't move the motors. I programmed a simple motor test on 1x and this moved the motors.

I'm guessing that I might have 'popped' all except the 'good' one, making them not work fully.

I'll buy some more PICs and see how they work.

Camerart.

I decided to build my own zif PK2 setup , although I don't have any PIC18's of any kind ( couple on order ) , post #63 suggested my circuit won't work as it said on the tin ... ? :nailbiting: but did not explain reasoning .....
Watch this space.....
Camerart did you note once LVP has been disabled only high voltage programming will work... this is why some only use high v programming ( turn off config bit and gnd PGM pin )

I decided to build my own zif PK2 setup , although I don't have any PIC18's of any kind ( couple on order ) , post #63 suggested my circuit won't work as it said on the tin ... ? :nailbiting: but did not explain reasoning .....
Watch this space.....
Camerart did you note once LVP has been disabled only high voltage programming will work... this is why some only use high v programming ( turn off config bit and gnd PGM pin )

Hi G,

LVP bit set, now both PicKit2 and 3 appear to be programming ok, with all green and no errors. Result, the same as before 1x PIC Ok, 'now' 6x show LED flash, but don't turn motors. Again, I'll buy some more and report back.

Looking forward to seeing your programmer working.

Camerart.

Hi,

I've been reading and writing to the 18F2431,s with different programs and the HEX files are changing as expected. If I program a 'good' PIC and a 'bad' one with the same program and then compare both hex files, they are both the same, so I'm convinced all pics are being programmed, but the 'bad' ones have a pin or more not working. I've ordered some more.

Camerart.

Update . My previous post PK2 ZIF circuit works fine on 16F887 both PK2 standalone and MPLAB 8 operation ,( non LVP program / verify etc etc etc ) this is with external 5v power ON . the 887 has different LVP pins reason for extra option strap.

Edit... also now write...verify...etc 18F2420 ..:)

C....
Q what about PIC EE your circuit using it ...?
Q does your "running" PIC18F2431 circuit use RB5 PWM4 ... pin 26 by any chance ?

ZI_pk2.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back