Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing ADC0804 with parallel port

Status
Not open for further replies.

eflow

Hi,

I'm using a ADC0804 to convert an analog signal from an LM335 temperature sensor, the digital conversion works perfectly, but now i have a problem.

I would like to be displayet either on 2 7-segments displays, or to be interfaced with the parallel port.

The problem with the segment displays is that I have an 8-bit signal from the ADC, but my display drivers only works with 4-bit signal.

I think the parallel port interfacing is the easiest way, I would like to interface it directly without any additional IC's if possible. If that is imposible a small amount of common ic's or transistors would be prefered.

Its not possible for me to use any additional microcontrollers or microprocessors.

Thanks...

To interface w/ 2 7 segment displays you need 2 7 seg decoder drivers. One the 1st four bits 0-3 the second, bits 4-7 With a parallel port you can decode in the reading program. You must control the R/W cycle because the 804 has 8 bi-directional ports. How were you planning to do that in a stand alone version without a micro controller? I mean if you just want a stand alone 2 seg readout w/ 0-5VDC as a input ( thru a sensor) You join pins 3 and 5 INT/WRT and fround pins 1 and 2 RD/CS.
You must hower drive each seg with its own 9368 or equiv.

I know i need display drivers. and that is no problem either.
But i think my solution is to use the parallel port and then write a program.

I think i'm just gonna put the parallel port in bi-directional mode, using bit 5 of the control ports and then send the data over the data ports.

As far as i have understand it's quite simple. :)

But I need to get some additional parts before i can play a little bit with it.

Thanks anyway

Check National Semiconductor Aplication Note 460 and ADC0804/ADC0805 8-Bit µP Compatible A/D Converters.
I build one of this 4-5y ago, as I remember I used the free runing setup, and changed the A/D clock to run at lower freq.
In this days you must have a bidirectional paralel port, so just read the value and convert is to C or F.

STEVE

Attachments

• 0804.gif
    0804.gif
    4.5 KB · Views: 2,620
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back