Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

integrated battery charger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have to make a circuit that can load up to 8 mobile devices (apple, android ...)

I wanted to know if there is an integrated that simplifies my life, which indicates even when the device is in charge ....

thank you in advance.

The actual charge control electronics are built in to the devices.

All you need is a good 5V regulated supply connected to a bank of USB sockets that things can be plugged in to.

You could use ready-built 5V power supplies or, depending on what the power source will be, eg. a transformer, rectifier and smoothing to get down to around 12V then something like some LM2576T5 switching regulators to feed the USB sockets.
https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm2576.pdf

Each of those can supply up to 3A so you could use one per outlet for high current devices or feed two 1.5A outlets per regulator.

A 12V 10A transformer rectifier setup could feed all of them; the LM2576 circuits are quite efficient and after the step-down that woudl allow around 20A total at 5V spread over a number of individual regulators.

If you make the transformer/rectifier part separate from the regulators and sockets, you could equally run that from a vehicle battery.

You could equally use different, higher current regulators or even one 7805 per USB outlet if you don't need fast charge and efficiency is not important.

thank you...
and for a led that when I connect the device turns on?
If you're using a SMPS as mentioned by rjenkinsgb, above, then you can connect an LED with series resistor between the LM2576 output pin and the output capacitor +ve. The LED brightness depends on the current drawn by the load.

Another idea:
If you have a 5V usb charger for each device, add one of these in between the supply and the device.
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/14544
It measures current in the 0 to 5A range and out outs 0 to 5V. See "DOCUMENTS" for schematic and data sheet.
It does not matter if the 5V supply is one very large supply or you use one small supply for each device. You will need to measure the current for each device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back