Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Information on capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

john baines

Hi hope you can help me,I have a rectifier for a mig welder with a circular cap 23mm dia 3mm width markings on it 24M 220VB colour blue, I am not sure if its across the a/c or dc, and what its function is, could you please give me any info from the markings on it so I can replace it if required , I would be most gratefull for your reply, please find attached photos
J.Baines

Attachments

• P1110448.JPG
    P1110448.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 214
  • P1110446.JPG
    P1110446.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 208
  • P1110447.JPG
    P1110447.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 200
I think it is more likely to be an MOV (Metal oxide varistor.) These absorb transient spikes. I suspect that the 24m could mean it is 24mm dia and the 220v is the voltage rating. If it is on a rectifier it should be easy to work out if is AC (On the input) or DC on the output.) Post some pictures of the rectifier.

Les.

Hi thank you for the reply ,I have attached photo of rectifier and info from diodes, I think the blue and red leads are the +- of the dc, with the device MOV across these terminals hoping you can shed more info or if I am right in my assumsion
J.Baines

Attachments

• P1110449.JPG
    P1110449.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 206
  • P1110450.JPG
    P1110450.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 211
  • P1110451.JPG
    P1110451.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 209
I think you are correct. I think you will find that the output of the main transformer connect to the heatsinks. In my last post I had not noticed that you gave the diameter of the MOV as 23mm I think that is near enough to confirm the 24M is the diameter. I think you should find a suitable one from most of the MOV suppliers.

Les.

Last edited:
I think it looks like a Mov too, and its across the Dc output of the weld set.
In my experience these things fail with a bang, although yours does appear to have a crack.
The set would probably still output something even with the part dead, what problems are you experiencing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back