Inductor Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

m1tch37

I am a beginner and am having trouble putting together a ICD2 clone from schematics, board design, photo and a part list. The source of my confusion is two parts that are said to be the same in the parts list, but appear nothing alike in the board design and a photo.

L1, L2 = 100μH

They are the parts, it took me ages to figure out what a L* is, but i figured they are inductors right?

Anyway, in the photo below L2 looks like the inductors i can find online, where as L1 just looks like a wire? What am i reading wrong? Do i just put a wire into L1, but they are both the same μH??

Thank You,
Mitch

**broken link removed**

m1tch37 said:
L1, L2 = 100μH

They are the parts, it took me ages to figure out what a L* is, but i figured they are inductors right?

Yes L is usual designator for an inductor.

m1tch37 said:
Anyway, in the photo below L2 looks like the inductors i can find online, where as L1 just looks like a wire? What am i reading wrong? Do i just put a wire into L1, but they are both the same μH??

In the photo, L1 is indeed a wire link.
I am not familiar with your circuit, but sometimes there can be variations where parts are just not required and are either left out or replace with wire links.

JimB

Thats what i figured. I guess i'll try it without, as pictured. A large inductor wouldn't fit in L1 anyway, so i guess thats what the intended.. I hope so.

In the MicroChip ICD2 they use a switchmode supply to generate the Vpp voltage - the inductor is a crucial part of that supply, you need to get one that's designed for that kind of use (not an RF choke).

Mitch, the author says that L1 can be either a 100 uH inductor or a link (see the schematic, on the bottom left).

L1 and C4 form form a supply line filter.

L2 is required for proper operation of the DC-DC converter (U1).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…