Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Increasing DC/AC Inverter wattage

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeeterb

I found a PDF of a pure sine wave inverter that is 250 Watts. The PDF can be found here. I like the fairly simple design of that inverter. I found the file pretty interesting and I understood it fairly well. What modifications would need to be made if I wanted to increase it up to 1000 Watts. I can understand that is a big increase from the original 250 Watts. I also found this one on the website from a college close to where I live. The inverter PDF can be found here. That one is only about 100 Watts though. The second one doesn't give the full schematic like the first PDF that I linked, only bits and pieces.

Hello,

In the first schematic, you would mainly have to use MOSFETs rated for higher current that can handle the extra load current. You might also have to upgrade the MOSFET drivers so that they can properly drive the MOSFETs. Also make sure the heat sinks can handle the MOSFET heating. The control circuitry can be the same.

Unless I've missed it?, the first design isn't really an inverter - it requires a 170V DC supply to work, which it then converts to a sine wave.

To be an 'inverter' it requires a suitable transformer on the output, and the output devices fed from 24V (12V is too low for 1000W) - not to mention some kind of feedback to regulate the voltage to some degree.

Hi,

Yeah not exactly complete is it. At the least it would require a DC to DC boost converter on the input.

I'm not sure if it was complete or not. I pointed you to the document that I found while googling Pure Sine Wave inverter. The second was one I found at an earlier time and had to do a second search to find the exact URL to find it to point it to you. These are apparently college projects that may or may not have been completed. I am not sure myself.

Unless I've missed it?, the first design isn't really an inverter - it requires a 170V DC supply to work, which it then converts to a sine wave.

To be an 'inverter' it requires a suitable transformer on the output, and the output devices fed from 24V (12V is too low for 1000W) - not to mention some kind of feedback to regulate the voltage to some degree.

I re-read your post and agree it would take a higher input voltage for 1000 Watts, If you combined it with a battery bank being charged by a wind turbine or PV array, you could get either close to or over the desired 1000 Watts pure sine wave output at 110V/60Hz. I know it would take some pretty serious mods on the output section to get the 1000 watts that I want.

The simpler option would be to just buy the sine wave inverter driver board and make the needed step up system independent from that or buy a off the shelf inverter and refit the sine wave control board into the final stage control system.

eBay $9.58 **broken link removed**

I found a PDF of a pure sine wave inverter that is 250 Watts. The PDF can be found here. I like the fairly simple design of that inverter. I found the file pretty interesting and I understood it fairly well. What modifications would need to be made if I wanted to increase it up to 1000 Watts. I can understand that is a big increase from the original 250 Watts. I also found this one on the website from a college close to where I live. The inverter PDF can be found here. That one is only about 100 Watts though. The second one doesn't give the full schematic like the first PDF that I linked, only bits and pieces.

Hi again,

What kind of input and output are you looking for, 1000 watts i guess, but what input voltage do you need and what output voltage do you need?

I Think I may just stay with something in the 500 Watt range. I probably don't need 1000 watts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back