Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Increasing 12V fan speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbsmitho

Hello everyone,

I wish to increase the speed of four 12 volts fans which I obtained from the power supply units of of personal computers so they are just normal fans. I need to do this in order to prevent my Xbox 360 from over heating and I would attach them to the console for good ventilation. Please inform how I could increase the speed of these fans substantially? What electronic part should I use? Please inform. Best regards:)

Anything you do to increase the fan speed would likely overload the motor.

Use a higher input voltage! Shorter life span but more air flow!

Get a better gaming station or just clean yours out!

Fan life halves for ~each 10C rise in case temp.

Last edited:
Isent the xbox too loud alredy? Well i would first recomend cleaning all the dust out of it, since dust is a real good insulator.Also dont keep it stufed in some tight fit shelf that makes the hot air build up.

simple answer you can't ! like others have said take steps to ensure it won't overheat like cleaning it out, I vac my computer once in a while. Do you actually have a problem with your x-box overheating or have you just got up one morning and decided that despite the power it uses (90 odd % of which becomes heat) it should be at room temperature. bear in mind your tactile perception of how hot something is varies with room temperature

The air coming out of the back of my PC is pretty toasty and the back panel of the machine is uncomfortable to touch, but my PC is running WELL within it's temperature range.

Thanks all for their replies. Actually this is my new Xbox 360 Jasper model and I wish to do the fan mod to prevent rrod or error e74. After using it for about 2 hours the back of the console gets hot. I will try the 2 fans idea or would buy some really fast fans from somewhere. :)

bbsmitho.... the machine is GOING to get hot no matter what you do. All modern high performance machines get hot. What you think of 'hot' is not however abnormal, just shows that you don't know what you're doing. If the machine you have is actually a Jasper chipset you're not going to have the RROD problem because the machine is new and from an improved design which generates less heat. If I got an RROD on the latest XBOX revision without modification I would never touch a hardware device from Microsoft again.

Last edited:
Just put it in a bucket of ice water! That will fix everything! :D
Or just go outside and play! :)

Are you related to the guy that wanted to put 16 fans on his PC? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back