Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

In what way LEDtv differ from LCDtv?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CCFL backlight does not respond fast enough to changes in overall scene to scene brightness, as result it is not very effective. It is used to get an overstated high contrast marketing specification. Some LED backlight TV's do sub-segment screen backlight modulation which is even more effective then a total screen LED backlight modulation in truely increasing contrast ratio.

By some, you mean the very expensive, and very uncommon, rear lit LED ones - CCFL backlit sets seem to respond perfectly well to changes in brightness, LED backlights don't seem to give any advantages to the picture at all. Certainly in the shop here, I couldn't tell you which was which, without consulting the specs.

Neither could I with about 50 displays to chose from. The only way to tell the difference was in price. LED or CFL made no difference.

Neither could I with about 50 displays to chose from. The only way to tell the difference was in price. LED or CFL made no difference.

HD Ready or Full HD doesn't much either :D

At work we have a Sony demo 'wall'of all 32 inch sets, all fed from the same HD source - it's a really crap demonstration, because I can't tell any difference (on HD) between the cheapest and most expensive.

Really? When I go to the local Bestbuy I can tell immediately which one of the TV's they have hooked up wrong, it's all the same feed but it's fed in different ways. I won't go there for test purposes because some of them aren't even fed real HD signals just STdef TV, no one seems to notice =P We just got a memebership (cheap gas) to a BJ's wholesale club that's on our way to work and they have 4 isles of HD sets all running the same video feed, even at a cursory glance I can tell they actually have the things setup properly, and you can see the difference in both general image quality (typically I notice the graininess most) the constrast and motion responce. Even with TV's of comparable paper stats I can visually see huge differences. Then again it's nearly every major brand of TV made, not just one brand.

Really? When I go to the local Bestbuy I can tell immediately which one of the TV's they have hooked up wrong, it's all the same feed but it's fed in different ways.

If you've got some fed with HD, and some only fed SD, then the difference is stunningly obvious, but all fed the identical HD feed, no.

I won't go there for test purposes because some of them aren't even fed real HD signals just STdef TV, no one seems to notice =P We just got a memebership (cheap gas) to a BJ's wholesale club that's on our way to work and they have 4 isles of HD sets all running the same video feed, even at a cursory glance I can tell they actually have the things setup properly, and you can see the difference in both general image quality (typically I notice the graininess most) the constrast and motion responce. Even with TV's of comparable paper stats I can visually see huge differences. Then again it's nearly every major brand of TV made, not just one brand.

Cheaper makes aren't as good as the Sony's, but aren't placed in the Sony wall, because Sony installed it :D

If you've got some fed with HD, and some only fed SD, then the difference is stunningly obvious, but all fed the identical HD feed, no.
That's where I'm disagreeing with you Nigel, I see quiet dramatic differences between sets, primarily in fluid motion and graininess of fine details, as well as general contrast

No, I believe I specifically stated that =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back