Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I'm new to PIC, pls help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • make totally sure you have it hooked up like this (image). Note, the crystal shown is not needed except in chips with no internal crystal, which is now rare.

For programming, a crystal or internal oscillator are not needed. The programmer provide its own clock (PGC) to clock the data (PGD) into the chip. As far as programming the chip, only the 5 connections to the PICkit are needed (i.e., power, ground, /MCLR, PGC and PGD). To actually run the chip in the circuit, the pullup resistor on /MCLR, crystal and caps or internal oscillator and bypass caps will be needed of course.

ICSP Ap Note

I HAVE BEEN USING THAT PK2 FOR YEARS WITH MY 16F887 AND I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH IT. I NEVER USED ANY EXTERNAL CIRCUITRY (pull up resistors/etc.) AND IT HAVE BEEN WORKING FINE. I TRIED WITH 12F629 AND 16F54 AND IT BOTH FAILED. I CAN'T PROGRAM THE CHIPS. THAT'S ALL! :mad:

Woah, calm down man, a bunch of people are trying to help you for free. Besides
I'm new to PIC, pls help!
So I just bought a PIC 12F629 but the I realised that I don't have any programmer for PICs

It didn't sound like you had a PicKit or had been using it for years.

I bought that PK2 in 2011 and a PIC16f887 for a school project. I didn't write any software for that pic, my friend wrote everything. I only do the hardware-stuff (PCB designing, assembly,etc). A few days ago, I found that PK2 a few days ago and tested it. Still works with LVP PICs. I'm sorry, I bought the 12f629 before I found that PK2 :p. Totally forgot about it. I just tested it ths morning. Still works w/ 16F887 but not 12F629/16F54

What does "doesn't work with...." mean? it doesn't support those chips (i.e., they are not in the list of supported chips) or programming fails in some way?

If it's the former, someone posted links to the updated device files near the top of this thread.

The chip is locked. After I try to unlock it, I closed the program and when I open it back, it says that the chip is locked, again.

I have just verified that I can read, write and erase a PIC12F629 using a PICKIT2 (Genuine PICKIT2) without any problems. When you say you have tried to unlock the chip what do you mean ? On the PICKIT2 software there are options to protect the code or data but not one to unprotect it. I think an erase will clear these protect bits. I have never set the protect bits so I have never needed to clear them.

Les.

I have a pickit 2 clone already (AND I DON'T WANT TO WASTE MONEY ON A PIC18 FOR MAKING A PICKIT2!), it doesn't support HVP (it's 5v only), which pic12f629 requires,
You answered your own question...

A reply to granddad: It doesn't support HVP
A reply to Les Jones: It's litterally locked. Both code and data lock

A reminder: My PK2 is a clone, doesn't support HVP (12v for Vpp)

32 ... You want to flash a program into a PIC12F629 If your "pickit2" ( it aint) cannot provide Vpp correctly for the device you don't have the tools to do it ... best advice... change to a PIC that does LVP...

The 12F629 is programmable on the Pk2 via Mplab or V2.61

The 16F54 is Not programmable by the Pk2 at all, you need a Pk1 or Pk3 for that; its such an old chip you would be better to bin it than struggle on.

You words so far have confused us, so please give us some hard evidence.

First , when you use the Pk2, what program are you running it with, MplabIDE version ? MplabX, Pk2 V2.61 or something else ?

If you connect the 12F629 to your Pk2 and READ the 629 what happens; if it gives an error please post a screen shot of the messages.
If it reads ok, and you try and program the chip, what is the actual error message, again a screenshot help.

Importantly , Please provide a drawing or picture of how you have connected the Pk2 to the 12F629

A picture / brand and model name of your Pk2 clone would possibly help as someone might recognise it and know for certain that it is or is not capable of HVP.
It would be so unusual for anyone to make and sell a pk2 clone without hvp.

I'm not 100% sure OP understands LVP ... all pic's do LVP , just getting into program mode requires either the PGM pin high ( depends on device ) , or at least 12v on the Vpp pin after a reset. the 883 has a PGM pin and a config setting just to confuse !

I HAVE BEEN USING THAT PK2 FOR YEARS WITH MY 16F887 AND I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH IT. I NEVER USED ANY EXTERNAL CIRCUITRY (pull up resistors/etc.) AND IT HAVE BEEN WORKING FINE. I TRIED WITH 12F629 AND 16F54 AND IT BOTH FAILED. I CAN'T PROGRAM THE CHIPS. THAT'S ALL! :mad:

The 12F629 is a buggie chip you sound like you set fuses wrong If you change the setting on the pickit2 software I hope your using you may find you can program it.
And before you come back mad the pickit 2 has to have HVP if it can't bring VPP pin Up it will error and not work. That's tested when the program starts I'm sure if you can look at what you have it has a inductor on it that gives it the 12 volt from 5 volt usb.
I have tried to use a pickit without the charge pump and you get error. That's because it test the charge pump to make the right voltage you need.
PickitSchv1.JPG

As you can see there's a inductor on this and it's called a pickit2 5 volt only programmer

Last edited:
I can't get newer chips because I can't find them. Buying on Digikey/Mouser costs me a lot of money for shipping. So I can only buy old PICs since my local electric store sells them

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back