Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Identify capacitor and test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark666

Hi to all.

I have 3 Tantalum capacitors that I suspect that are damaged.

I use a capmeter to test electrolitic caps.

First question, how do I test a tantalum cap?

Also, the caps say 390 67FA. What does this mean? What voltage? What uF?

Thanks to all.

No my multimeter does not have a capacitance option. Thats why I use a capmeter!!!
However the capmeter only tests electrolitic caps and not tantalum, like I said.

the capmeter only tests electrolitic caps and not tantalum, like I said.

This is a very strange capmeter that only tests Aluminum electrolytic capacitors but does not test Tantalum electrolytic capacitors. What make and model is it? I would like to read its specifications.

I suspect it would be fine testing Tantalums as long it uses low voltage.

Last edited:
RadioRon.
I will find out the make and model os the capmeters. I don't have it here, it's not mine, its borrowed.

As for the Tantalum caps that say 390 67FA? How do I know its specs? What does 390 67FA mean?

Thanks

RadioRon.
I will find out the make and model os the capmeters. I don't have it here, it's not mine, its borrowed.

As for the Tantalum caps that say 390 67FA? How do I know its specs? What does 390 67FA mean?

Thanks

I honestly don't know. It might be helpful to see a photo of the cap, but its pretty hard to make a good closeup photo of such a small thing. Is there a manufacturer's logo on it? Some symbol?

Often, the markings begin with the capacitance in pF, using two significant digiits and a decade multiplier. For example, the 390 could be interpreted as 39 pF. But they don't make tantalum caps that small. 39 happens to be one of the standard value numbers so it is suspicious. A tantalum would more likely be 3.9 uF so it should say something like 395, not 390. Also, tantalums are polarized so there should be some sort of polarization mark. Is there? The other thing that would be likely would be a voltage rating, 67FA doesn't look like one of these. So it is a bit of a mystery to me.

You suspect they are damaged and they won't cost much so test them. Write down the capacitance measured because these might be "in-house" numbers on the devices which will make it hard to find their values. If you can show a schematic of the circuit or some information (what does the circuit do) someone here might be able to suggest values close to what is required.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back