Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Identification of stepper motor- How can i run it? From a speedometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cduluk

Hey guys.

I am working on a gauge cluster modification in my car and need some help.

Some car gauge clusters do this neat trick where the gauge needles rotate all the way in one direction, and all the way back in a few seconds- upon start-up.

See this vid of the Lexus IS cluster: Watch the speedo and tach needles
YouTube - 2009 Lexus IS-F Gauge Sweep

I want to make my car's gauge needles do the same thing.
I thought i could run a relay that would break the factory circuits to the needle motors upon startup for maybe 3 seconds. And during these 3 seconds, i can maybe use a motor driver to send the right signals to the motors so that the needles swing right and left just like the needles from the cluster in the Lexus IS. Then after the 3 seconds, the relay connects the factory circuit so the cluster performs normally.

My only problem is that i don't know how the gauge cluster motors work. I am assuming they're stepper motors (but i could be totally wrong).

I bought a used cluster from a Lexus Rx330 (which use the same motors as my 2008 Lexus Rx400h cluster) so i can test out the motors before i do it to my actual cluster.

Here is the cluster taken apart. I’m focusing on the speedometer needle motor.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

They are sin/cos meter movements. This is clearly marked on the PCB sin+ sin- etc.

Your best option to do what you want it to just connect a alternative signal to the speedo and tacho (like from two 555 timers) for a few seconds at startup, then connect the propers signals back up after that. You cold switch both the signals with a relay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back