Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ideas on a very effective 5v dc converter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

neba13

I have a some solar panels with a 8v out put and 10 watts. I would like to build a USB converter. I have seen many plans using a 7805 regulator. and I really like how easy it is to build, but I need this to be the most energy efficient as possible. I don't know it it would be possible but I would like to have two USB each giving out 5v 1amp. thank you
Branden

I have a some solar panels with a 8v out put and 10 watts. I would like to build a USB converter. I have seen many plans using a 7805 regulator. and I really like how easy it is to build, but I need this to be the most energy efficient as possible. I don't know it it would be possible but I would like to have two USB each giving out 5v 1amp. thank you
Branden
That would only take 100% efficiency.

thank you for the replys. I under stand I'm not going to get 100% efficiency, but I want to get as close as I can get. With the 7805 regulator, there is some capacitor that are need. how can I find out what kind I need.

when I go to the the website you posted, it says that that page has been deleted.

thanks Branden

Hmm. works ok for me..

A 7805 is not the best for solar because the input has to be about 7 volts to get 5 volts out so it is not very efficient and won't work when you don't have a lot of light on your solar panel. The buck boost converter has 80 85% effeciency and will put out 5 volts even when the input is less than 5 volts.
If you can't get the link to work just go to ebay and look for buck boost converter.

Last edited:
thank you ronv. that is exactly what I'm looking for and a really good price. I really wanted to make one though. I was not and to find any blue prints on it. do you any any ideas?

They can be tricky to build. If tou want to build one the 7805 would be easiest. Just follow the examples in the datasheet.

OK. what data sheet should I follow? the biggest issue I'm finding is I don't know the right capacitor to use. I always see other people using all different types. any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back