Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ICD2 Compatable + PCB layout

Status
Not open for further replies.
But Google is there :p

# nslookup blueroomelectronics.com
*** ns1.webave.net can't find blueroomelectronics.com: Non-existent host/domain
# nslookup myblueroom.com
*** ns1.webave.net can't find myblueroom.com: Non-existent host/domain
# nslookup google.com
Name: google.com
Addresses: 72.14.207.99, 64.233.187.99, 64.233.167.99

OPPS, notice to all of you whom have built the Inchworm. Transistor Q4 is incorrectly wired in both the schematic and PCB layout posted here.

To correct simply turn Q4 around 180 degrees. The Collector & Emitter were reversed. Amazingly it still worked....:eek: Now it should work better :D

I'll post Inchworm REV E (with this fix) on my site after lunch.

Bill,

You asked me to double check your layout and I missed it too. Sorry.

Mike

BTW, does this mean you received your pretty blue boards?

William At MyBlueRoom said:
No my partner at CreatronInc is waiting for his friends in China to ready up. I might just have them made in Kanata Ontario. $300 for 200 pcs. Seems reasonable.
I will give you $5 for a blue one. :D That is not a bad price for the size of them at all. Last board (couple of months ago) here in Florida (local vendor), was like 250 boards for $500 and they were 3/4" x2". I think that has setup in it too.

Oh yea. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Last edited:
Just a quick note Nigel, I know the PS+ was really slow, but since the introduction of mplab7-> they have really tried to improve it, and done a good job!

If you select "Programmer/Settings" on the menu of MPLAB, you can tick/check "Auto select memory areas and range", this will only program the amount of the pic needed. A good tip is also to un-tick/check "Read all on auto select" this will then only verify the programed areas not the whole PIC, this really speeds up the programing process.

To be honest, I am amazed (and very grateful) that MChip are still putting so much effort and support into this old "war-horse" of a programmer, they get a big "thank you" from me, it has got to be, imho, one of the best supported cheap(ish, well for a major company anyway!) programmers out there!

we use PS+ where I work, and its well slow, I use ICD2 and its fairly speedy. where exactly do I get the bootloader to put into the clone from? ive read through all the posts (half asleep mostly) and not quite sure where you meant.

ratgod said:
we use PS+ where I work, and its well slow, I use ICD2 and its fairly speedy. where exactly do I get the bootloader to put into the clone from? ive read through all the posts (half asleep mostly) and not quite sure where you meant.

If you're using a 16F877-20 (not the A revision) the bootloader comes with MPLAB 7.4 (look for a file called BL010101.HEX)

Is there a version for the 16F876 (not A revision)? I just got one and want to try and make a surface mount version, i already have a few MAX232's and SP232 smt's so I thought i would give it a go.

ratgod said:
Is there a version for the 16F876 (not A revision)? I just got one and want to try and make a surface mount version, i already have a few MAX232's and SP232 smt's so I thought i would give it a go.

Mr Stoltz (I used his design, just modified the VPP section)

**broken link removed**

The firmware BL010101.HEX works fine in a 16F876. I would have designed it around the 876 but the retailer wanted the 877.

Here's the first finished Inchworm PCB (one of a set of 200)

Attachments

• cropped.jpg
    cropped.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 437
Yes indeed very cleaver
i've been following your project since you changed it from red or thereabouts
thats one thing that mine doesnt do , In circuit debugging.
it must be a nice feature
what can you do with ICD

williB said:
Yes indeed very cleaver
i've been following your project since you changed it from red or thereabouts
thats one thing that mine doesnt do , In circuit debugging.
it must be a nice feature
what can you do with ICD
Which programmer do you use?

The debugging mode is no ICE but it's fantastic when you're stuck or trying to locate that pesky bug.

I used blue PCBs as it fit with the new webname.

I use one of my own design
it hooks directly into the address and data lines of the pc.
i decode the address of the programmer with a 8 input nand gate and two inverters this signal is ORed with the out line from the isa bus and sent to a LS138 3X8 decoder
the output of the decoder is determined by that signal and the three lowest address lines
which gives 8 consecutive addresses (outputs) which drive four LS74 flip flops using the preset and and clear inputs i can turn any one of the four on or off just be using the port[$xxx]:=B instruction in pascal

for example by invoking Port[$378]:=B sends the contents of B out on the data bus to address 378 hex and pulses the OUT line low ( active), this in turn sets the LS74 Flip flop using the preset input .

B is a dummy varible because i am using the address lines and the out signal to activate the FF , not the data lines , but i do use the data line D0 to get the program out of the PIC ,

by using a buffer after the FF (RB7) line i can divert the data comming from the PIC to a LS245 data bus buffer , and use the input port command Picdata:=Port[$37F] although i actually put it into an array
arent you sorry you asked?

Last edited:
Bill,

It looks very nice. Hey, who's the manufacturer and what's the part number of those little square 0.1-uf caps' and that plastic box?

Mike

Mike said:
Bill,

It looks very nice. Hey, who's the manufacturer and what's the part number of those little square 0.1-uf caps' and that plastic box?

Mike

I can't remember where I got the caps, I've had them for ages. They're mil spec 0.1uF (marked 104K on the plastic) I recall around 50v

The case is a Hammond 1591B (comes in a few colors too including clear)
You have to file the cases' top lip down a little .1" under the DE9 to make a perfect fit.

http://www.hammondmfg.com/1591ptbla.htm

Here's a project someone built in a 1591B, not a large case about 4.4 x 2.4

http://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/motor_light/009/index.html

First time with debugger

Hi everybody, it's my first time on forum and I'm very interested in building an USB-ICD2 version.
Are these the correct firmwares, pcb and schematics to build an ICD2 working on MPLAB 7?

Mike said:
Hi Guys,

Here's the files for user PiCS's through-hole USB ICD2 project including schematic/pcb file (pdf) and the two hex files.

Mike

There is maybe also an USB version using PIC16F876A?

Thanks, Michele.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back