Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I2c with serial eeprom...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Atmel EEPROMs have the marking ATMLU020 on them. The number is the year and month when the chip was made (2010, week 20, in this case).. under that is the code (truncation code) that tells what chip it is. None of the EEPROMS have marking 2F8 on them.. not the ones I checked. And I actually went through all the EEPROM datasheets on Atmels website.

Maybe it is a serial DataFlash, but Atmel does not make those anymore.. **broken link removed** bought the chip out of Atmel. If it is DataFlash, then it might be broken allready, because many of them are low voltage devices and 5v will destroy them.

Yes you are right... I have found a similar case for a 24c256.... It probably IS an EEprom

Very confusing...

Ok, then why it is not working??

Unfortunately we cant "remote see" what your problem is.... As Mr T said you could get a pickit2 and use the logic analyzer to see the signals are correct...

If you have a 512 ( 64K) device and A0 / A1 are grounded it should work.. BUT!! You have no way of knowing the voltage of the chip....

Have we had Enough

Ian and Mr.T I do have to say you are too supportive for your own good, I'm sure this OP has turned not only me but others away from this forum as the lack of learning and cryptic posts does show the learning compatibility of the OP is a snail on heat

Atmel EEPROMs have the marking ATMLU020 on them. The number is the year and month when the chip was made (2010, week 20, in this case).. under that is the code (truncation code) that tells what chip it is. None of the EEPROMS have marking 2F8 on them.. not the ones I checked. And I actually went through all the EEPROM datasheets on Atmels website.

Maybe it is a serial DataFlash, but Atmel does not make those anymore.. **broken link removed** bought the chip out of Atmel. If it is DataFlash, then it might be broken allready, because many of them are low voltage devices and 5v will destroy them.

what do u mean? i am using 5V

Just goes to prove to Brain and others, that you are not helping yourself...... We give you every bit of information you need.....

When asking for our help... Please oblige us and read our advise..

Could you re-check the package markings.. maybe it is "2EB", not "2F8".. Here is datasheet for part with truncation code "2EB"
It may be B but not E
2FB 2
anyway i will try to buy 256 new series in market.

These chips have all kinds of numbers there used in things like TV CRT to store config for I think the color settings.

I played with them some time ago I pulled them out of old TV and Crt's.
Lot's of fun that is looking up data sheets and then being a fool and think I could read the chip for some
coding ideas LOL
It was fun to write to them and read them.
Maybe he doesn't have a eeprom chip maybe a motor controller LOL

A simple picture of the chip that we can see would help
But thats asking to much.

I think it is normal EEPROM. I believe it is no longer made. I purchased 25 of these chips from Digi-Key in 2011. I'm pretty sure I sent you one of these. The Digi-Key part # was AT24C512B-PU25-ND

The datasheet I previously linked to was to an EEPROM in Parallax's web store. The datasheet to this chip is here. They should both use the same communication protocol.

You can see on page 13 of the datasheet the second line printed on the chip is "2FB 2" not "2F8 2".

Reply from the EEPROM sender....

Last edited:
Those are 2.5 volt chips you may of fried them.

The 2.5V means minimum operating voltage. The one with marking "2FB" works up to 5.5V.

Have you double checked the electrical connections: A0, A1, A2, WP pins.. pullup-resistors on I2C line.. etc.

One problem with your code I noticed is that you are only writing 8-bit memory adresses. The eeprom uses 16bit memory addresses.

Read the datasheet pages 9 through 11.

Last edited:
MisT not to say your wrong but those chips
Come it two voltages 3.6 and 5.5
His is a 3.6 and should be ran under 3.6 volts

Ian and Mr.T I do have to say you are too supportive for your own good, I'm sure this OP has turned not only me but others away from this forum as the lack of learning and cryptic posts does show the learning compatibility of the OP is a snail on heat

6pages and over 51posts.

Hey, guy's I hope you'll be there for me too, when mine reach a 100 ....................Posts I mean.

kv

Edit: Pete and Re-Pete were in a boat, Pete fell out, who was left?

Last edited:
MisT not to say your wrong but those chips
Come it two voltages 3.6 and 5.5
His is a 3.6 and should be ran under 3.6 volts

Did you read the datasheet of the chip Ritesh has? The datasheet says:
"the entire family is available in 1.8V (1.8V to 3.6V) and 2.5V (2.5V to 5.5V) versions."
Ritesh has the 2.5V version.

Ian and Mr.T I do have to say you are too supportive for your own good...
Hey, guy's I hope you'll be there for me too, when mine reach a 100 ....................Posts I mean.

I read the forum when I drink my morning coffee.. sometimes when I'm just bored. I like the projects Ritesh posts.. I just have given up the "real effort" to help him. I used to work more to help Rites.. But now I'm merely trying to point Ritesh the right way.. and point out the obvious mistakes. I've noticed that writing code etc. is useless because Ritesh does not even read the code.. not to mention trying to understand it. Or trying to learn the C-language.

When Ritesh buys the PicKit (or a logic analyzer or an oscilloscope) and starts posting photos, schematics and screenshot of measurements, I will be more interested to help him. Like I said. The projects he does are very good hobby projects.. it is a shame that he struggles.. these projects could help many hobbyists. (except the brainwave-project.. or the speech recognition.. those are rubbish).

Last edited:
Did you read the datasheet of the chip Ritesh has? The datasheet says:
"the entire family is available in 1.8V (1.8V to 3.6V) and 2.5V (2.5V to 5.5V) versions."
Ritesh has the 2.5V version.

That mean that EEPROM is damaged? but i am using 9V battery which give very few mA...so still damaged?

That mean that EEPROM is damaged? but i am using 9V battery which give very few mA...so still damaged?

That my friends in the statement above says it all :mad:

He has not a clue what he is doing. Please stop wasting your valuable time here and maybe help other more deserving folks who ask for help.

You will NEVER get him sorted because even basic stuff is not understood....Never mind Digital Electronics which you cannot possibly understand without a solid knowledge of the Basics.

In order to fix this sad situation Mr Kakkar has to be taught from the start. Properly. And I do not believe this forum has the time or money to do that.

Just my 2c worth.

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:

Are you serious!!!! I thought you were in your fourth year Electrical Engineering...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back