Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I2C Constant Current LED Driver - 16 or more Bits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oops... You must have thought I was suggesting SMD LEDs. Sorry! I was simply thinking of a simple PIC and Charlieplexed displays with an I2C interface.

Have fun... Cheerful regards, Mike

I'm not too concerned parts costs. If this project comes together, I'll have to supply about a hundred of these. If I have them, the number of components affects cost, and another programming step would not be good.

I haven't considered Charlieplexing. Thanks for the suggestion but not this time.

Hi Gayan. I'm using the freeware version of DipTrace.

Cheerful regards, Mike
Dosnt look like the normal dip trace stuff thats gets posted here 'cough, cough'. You can read yours, and how come it isnt pixelated beyond recognition? I was under the impression you had to convert dip trace three times into jpeg...........

Ok my bad, I will stop taking the micky out of the normal dip tracer :D.

You mean you can't start with 50 pixels and enlarge it to 600? ;)

Mike doesn't have lines at odd angles across components either.

You mean you can't start with 50 pixels and enlarge it to 600? ;)

Mike doesn't have lines at odd angles across components either.
Yeah I think Mike needs a few lessons in how to mess it up! He is causing chaos by proving dip trace can make a readable layout!! Maybe Mikes is broken? I am sure it isnt meant to be that readable ;).

Ok stop jonsea.....this is where we cause trouble, I am REFORMED I tell you lol.

Am I missing something? What does "normal DipTrace" stuff look like?

Well.............Seeing as I am reformed I wont say publicly :D. pm sent :D.

Jon, may I ask how this display is used, please? What does it actually indicate?

Sorry if my question seems 'off topic' but my wife and I are Private Pilots and so we've visited friends at a couple towers and traffic control centers. The equipment is always very interesting.

Cheerful regards, Mike

Jon, may I ask how this display is used, please? What does it actually indicate?

Sorry if my question seems 'off topic' but my wife and I are Private Pilots and so we've visited friends at a couple towers and traffic control centers. The equipment is always very interesting.

Cheerful regards, Mike

Happy to explain but know, i am 10 days out from a total knee replacement and my words may be a little oxicodoney at the moment ;)

These displays are for Wake Turbulence Timers. If a small plane is too close behind a large plane, it can be caught in the wake vortices of the larger plane. The resulting motion can be catestrophic, even spinning the smaller plane around.

In flight and during landing, planes are separated by distance...a number of miles based on relative plane sizes and types of aircraft involved.

For takeoffs, rather than using distance as the separator, the time between takeoffs is controlled. In most cases, separations of 2 or 3 minutes between takeoffs are used depending on the aircraft type.

How this time interval is monitored depends on the tower and Air Traffic Controller. Controllers may use a stop watch, look at a clock, use a hourglass eagg timer...there is not a lot of standardization. But in a growing number of towers, Wake Turbulence Timers, designed by yours truly, are used. When a plane takes off, the controller presses a button to start a countdown timer of the appropriate interval and receives notice of when the interval has elapsed.

Air traffic safety is enhanced by letting the comtroller focus on the important business at hand and runway throughput can be increased by eliminating wasted time. This timers have undergone a yearlong test program with flying colors and nationwide approval for installation in control towers across the nation is nearly complete...except for one gentleman who thinks a hourglass egg timers are all that Air Traffic Contollers need and are worth. The latest directives provide for more intervals depending on plane types - my timers currently support 4 intervals.

For more information and a glimpse of why it takes the FAA forever to accomplish anything, visit www.WakeTurbulenceTimers.com

Speaking of being oxicodoney, I actually answered the wrong question. I'm sorry :)

This thread regards anorher control tower aid that I'm going to hold a little closer to the chest. A contract should be let for this project any time now and I don't want to risk giving too much away at this point.

I understand. Good luck with that project. I was just experimenting with a hi-rez' BAM driver for Charlieplexed 2-pin Red/Green LEDs and thought about your 32 LED display for some reason...

Take care. Have fun. Cheerful regards, Mike

led test.pngCharlie RG #2 (small).png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back