Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I want to make a Geiger counter for urban exploring

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybob

As the title says, I would like to build a Geiger counter for a place in in Georgia that I would like to explore.
Although people say there was a no longer a trace of radiation I would still like to see for myself.
Does anyone know of a good schematic I can use? My main objective is for the clicks to be audible, and if I wanted, to change from speaker to just an led as an indicator. I would like to run it off either 4 AA batteries or a 3.7 volt lithium. And if possible to adjust sensitivity, but if that’s too hard I can do without it.
I was thinking of using a 555 as the square wave generator for the tube let me know if that would be a good idea.
Thank you,
Ben

And if you don't already have a Geiger tube, the price of those is going to curl your toes - not cheap.

There used to be a few cheapish ones out of Russia, but I think they may have dried up now.

Google 'Geiger Counter kit' to see what is out there.

Tubes are available on ebay - eg.

Some types with quartz windows will detect alpha as well. That's difficult as alpha is blocked by almost any material.
One here:

An old unit you can repair of modify may be a good option, they have more facilities than simple kts and some level of calibration. Something like this?

Ignore all the small plastic "radiation detectors" being sold new, they are generally scams that pick up RF etc., not ionising radiation.

There are no places with "zero radiation" outside of specially screened facilities! The Earth itself is radioactive, some types of rock more than others.

This is my Geiger counter, I've had it near 50 years - it came out of one of the UK nuclear sites, sold off because the battery failed.

40310013105_d529da3281_k.jpg

you can make an ionization chamber with simple materials. they aren't as sensitive as G-M tubes, but they don't require argon or helium at partial pressure, and if made right an ionization chamber CAN detect alpha, beta, and gamma radiation by using metal screen at one end instead of sheet metal (closing off the end with sheet metal blocks beta and alpha particles). just google "ionization chamber diy" and you will see some very simple devices that work.

Tubes are available on ebay - eg.

Some types with quartz windows will detect alpha as well. That's difficult as alpha is blocked by almost any material.
One here:

An old unit you can repair of modify may be a good option, they have more facilities than simple kts and some level of calibration. Something like this?

Ignore all the small plastic "radiation detectors" being sold new, they are generally scams that pick up RF etc., not ionising radiation.

There are no places with "zero radiation" outside of specially screened facilities! The Earth itself is radioactive, some types of rock more than others.

This is my Geiger counter, I've had it near 50 years - it came out of one of the UK nuclear sites, sold off because the battery failed.

View attachment 132606
That’s an interesting option, although it may be fun to try and make one if I need a reliable counter this is probably the way to go.
Thanks

When I was at school we had a geiger counter, plus a radium sample - the sample was kept in a locked lead lined hard wood box, and that in turn was kept in a locked lead lined safe.

When the teacher got it out to demonstrate he first showed the background radiation levels, then the radiation from the radium sample, with the box open and then with it closed. Next he checked all the luminous watches in the class - the weakest of those was more than ten times the radioactivity of the locked away radium sample :D

As most of us probably remember?, most of the ladies from WWII who painted the dials for aircraft died of cancer from painting the dials with radioactive paint.

When I was at school we had a geiger counter, plus a radium sample - the sample was kept in a locked lead lined hard wood box, and that in turn was kept in a locked lead lined safe.

When the teacher got it out to demonstrate he first showed the background radiation levels, then the radiation from the radium sample, with the box open and then with it closed. Next he checked all the luminous watches in the class - the weakest of those was more than ten times the radioactivity of the locked away radium sample :D

As most of us probably remember?, most of the ladies from WWII who painted the dials for aircraft died of cancer from painting the dials with radioactive paint.
I remember reading about that. Also the radioactive Boy Scout is a great book that I read a few years ago great stuff.

one easy to get lo-level source is thoriated tungsten welding rods. i used some to test some dosimeter pens i have. thorium is an alpha emitter, so i put the open end of one dosimeter over the rods, and another dosimeter i kept several feet away. after several weeks the marker had moved to 50 rem on the dosimeter on the tungsten rods, but the other dosimeter was still at 0... tungsten welding rods are safe to handle, but i wouldn't carry them loose in my pocket on an everyday basis...

just to verify my results, i reset the dosimeter, and closed the plastic cover on the container for the rods, and let it sit like that for the same amount of time, after which both dosimeters still read 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back