Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I turned 50 today. Feel like a dinosaur. How old are you guys???

Status
Not open for further replies.
G'day Guy's,
Well 48 here until august then one year off the next decade of life, worked all my life as a mechie fitter and also seemed to be scratching for $$$$ although working my butt off and going nowhere. Last October after being out of work for 3 months my missus came home saying theres a job up on the local notice board at the shop. So went down and got the number and rang the guy, started with him the next week and going to the first job with him got 2 calls for labor hire work as a fitter. Decided to stick with the job I had( well yet to start) and the rest is history.

Working for myself doing bathroom and kitchen resurfacing is one of the most pleasing jobs I've ever done. Just to see the joy on the customers face when a job is completed really makes the hard work preparing the job and spraying the finish pale in the the background. Sure they are a few other companies doing the same thing and to date I've had to redo 2 bathrooms of their shoddy work.

Where before when we needed something it took months to save now I just walk in a pay cash, the mortgage is payed early in the month not on the last day and the best part I'm not paying the insane amount of tax every week then only get a pultry tax return at the end of the financial year. so what now I'll have to pay tax instead of a return but having the cash flow when needed makes this self employment worth all the while.

Cheers Bryan

I am 67. I feel young and everything is wonderful. I am not overweight and do not have diabetes. I expect to live for many more years.
I retired long ago so every day is a Saturday. I run after my RC model airplanes in the park.

Sure I got cataracts in my eyes and went blind but they fixed that. Then I had a heart attack but they also fixed that.

I paid off my mortgage long ago. I have not paid any income tax for many years but instead the government pays me some pretty good pensions.
I got a new car, my biggest one yet. It is also paid for.

But I don't have a cell phone anymore, I have three standard definition CRT TVs and my internet is fast but is not the fastest. I don't need better and newer ones.

In a couple of days my wife gets her first pension cheques then we can travel all over the place.

I am 67. I feel young and everything is wonderful. I am not overweight and do not have diabetes. I expect to live for many more years.
I retired long ago so every day is a Saturday. I run after my RC model airplanes in the park.

Sure I got cataracts in my eyes and went blind but they fixed that. Then I had a heart attack but they also fixed that.

I paid off my mortgage long ago. I have not paid any income tax for many years but instead the government pays me some pretty good pensions.

But I don't have a cell phone anymore, I have three standard definition CRT TVs and my internet is fast but is not the fastest. I don't need better and newer ones.

In a couple of days my wife gets her first pension cheques then we can travel all over the place.

What a nice place to be.... Enjoy your time together..

I don't think I'll ever retire... I love my job.... I'll never sack myself so I'll be there for ever...

My last birthday I turned 72. I have a couple of physical problems, but they don't keep me from being active. It might be interesting to meet other members of this forum. I wonder how many of the electronic stories would be similar. I get the impression a lot of us have spent most of our life in the electronics field. I have done quite a bit of traveling. Spent a couple of years in Alaska, 3 to 4 years in Hawaii, a number of years on the east coast of the U.S. Been to Japan, Cuba, Jamaca, Burmuda, Tahiti, Canada. I still build electronic projects...occasionally still make a few bucks with my skills, but have been fully retired for just about 6 years.

Hi AG

What car did you buy??
I also dislike Cellphones. Major nuisance.
And of course, CRT rules :)

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi AG

What car did you buy??
I also dislike Cellphones. Major nuisance.
And of course, CRT rules :)

Regards,
tvtech

As always, ETO Mod team is bang on the button. Thanks guys :)

Regards,
tvtech

I would just as not work all day with my head a foot from an an electron gun thank you.

Not so bad. The supposed "radiation" from the back of the tube could make a guy sterile though...

Like a tvtech :(

Regards,
tvtech

My wife did not receive her very first pension cheques today so I phoned the government. I sent the application forms 6 months ago. They say they never received them!
Either the Post Office lost or disposed them or the government disposed of a percentage of them so they have less work to do.

The government worker told me it takes them 3 months to process them so the first cheques in 3 months will have a lot of money.

Never mind AG. As in all Government Depts...there are problems :rolleyes:

You have to simply work it out with them. They are slow to answer when things go wrong though :(

Stay well

Best Regards,
tvtech

61 last October, never thought I'd make it this far...Had a heart attack 15 years ago, got that fixed and still going strong..

Aren't modern medical procedures wonderful and amazing?
I was suddenly nearly dead with two blocked heart arteries then a short time later (after the operation) I am absolutely fine again.

Aren't modern medical procedures wonderful and amazing?
I was suddenly nearly dead with two blocked heart arteries then a short time later (after the operation) I am absolutely fine again.
When I had mine, it felt like a severe case of heartburn, no pain, no tingling. What made me go to the hospital was the profuse sweating. I'm a EMT, and because of that I recognized the fact I had a bad problem. One artery I think they said 80% blocked.

Hi Guys

I am due for one anytime...unless I change my position/job.

This chassis is tired. Very reliable up to now.

Regards,
tvtech

And of course TV Tech loves you all :) Again :p

Just my way of saying Thank You :)

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
I would have thought I would have blown my self up by now one way or the other. LOL

I would have thought I would have blown my self up by now one way or the other. LOL

LOL :D

No matter how hard I try...I cannot get it right.

I was always called the "cautious one".

Till next time.

tvtech

Hey, TVTech

Wait for me there at 50. I turned 45 today and I'm catching up with you :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back