Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need to have a stero mixer for about 6 to 8 channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

clifweb

I want a mixer that connects to an amplifier to give the final output. The mixer should be stereo and having about 6 to 8 channels. The mixer will have connected to them mice to aux (CD players, ecc.) connected to them using preferable an xlr. If some one has a good schematic and maybe tell me how could increase the number of channels.
I have found this schematics but they didn’t convinced me since one I saw it to be complicated and the other looks that it is a mono mixer below are the two I just mentioned.
Schem is the mono the other is the complicated one

Attachments

• schem.gif
    schem.gif
    26.2 KB · Views: 139
  • mixer.gif
    mixer.gif
    8.4 KB · Views: 113
I suggest you just buy a mixer, it's easy enough to build a simple mixer with a single opamp, a few resistors, and a number of potentiometers - doubling it for stereo - but you can buy great quality mixers for very little money (check out Behringer ones), just the pots and knobs for your own would probably cost more. The bought mixer would provide a great many more facilites than a simple one you make your self - but if just line level inputs, and no tone controls, are all you require? - then it's not a hard job.

I agree with Nigel, I have built an 8 channel mixer and what you are doing is building 8 mono inputs with amplifiers then mixing them into stereo, the above circuit is a 4 input mono mixer

stero

but when connecting the xlr i didn't short circut any of the wires (pin 1 & 3) the final output will be a stero output. am i right. I found it that pin 1 = shield, pin 2 = left, pin 3 = right

clifweb said:
but when connecting the xlr i didn't short circut any of the wires (pin 1 & 3) the final output will be a stero output. am i right. I found it that pin 1 = shield, pin 2 = left, pin 3 = right

XLR's are mono, there's no left or right, the two connections are for a balanced mono signal.

I suggest you try mentioning EXACTLY what you are wanting to use the miser for?.

I secong Nigels notion, a bought mixer will undoubtedly work out cheaper. Though, you will end up with lots of features you might not use, and by the sound of it you are after something a little bit different, stereo connection by XLR is not standard. If you want to build an "ordinary" mixer to gain understanding etc, then this might help you:

**broken link removed**

Nigel Goodwin said:
I suggest you just buy a mixer, it's easy enough to build a simple mixer with a single opamp, a few resistors, and a number of potentiometers - doubling it for stereo - but you can buy great quality mixers for very little money (check out Behringer ones), just the pots and knobs for your own would probably cost more. The bought mixer would provide a great many more facilites than a simple one you make your self - but if just line level inputs, and no tone controls, are all you require? - then it's not a hard job.

I would also say buy a mixer, I went down the DIY road on making one and its still in pieces in the shop in half working condition.

I have the Yamaha MG series mixer, the 10/2 to be exact and I could not be any happier with it. I use mine to mix the keyboard, drums, guitar and MP3 player to my amp which goes to my desktop for recording.

At first I had gotten a Behringer Eurorack UB802 for about $50, no good....too much noise even for my home recording to the computer.

The Yamaha 10/2 is much better built and really great in the audio department, i suggest you take a look at it

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-MG102-Stereo-Mixer?sku=630048

It's a bit of money but you'll spend close, if not more on parts to build and test the mixer in the DIY route.

BTW, if needed and you have the money, go for the MG 12/4. Just a few more inputs and options added to it for the extra money but its probably well worth it in the end.

Yep, I also have the 10/2 mixer and can reccomend it. Also used mainly for recording into the computer. Nice features include the large number of LEDs in the level out bargraph, which makes reading the levels easy and accurate. Also it is fairly low noise, the mic inputs are of good quality and feature 48v phantom power.

something even more basic the Teac Model 1, I have one bought it 25 years ago. The 10/2 looks waaaay better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back