Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need 5.1 surround circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

carloscapitao

:D Hy, I need circuit, diagram, schematic 5.1 decoder system.

I have surround theory, but with one surround channel output.

I want 5.1 sistem whit two surround channel output , Ls and Rs.

Help me

thanks

Carlos

carloscapitao said:
:D Hy, I need circuit, diagram, schematic 5.1 decoder system.

I have surround theory, but with one surround channel output.

I want 5.1 sistem whit two surround channel output , Ls and Rs.

Dolby 5.1 is a digital system (used on DVD players and digital satellite receivers), presumably all you need is the correct I/C (and all the support components), for which you have to pay Dolby a licence fee.

I would have thought it's totally impractical to try and build one, you can buy DVD players and amplifiers with Dolby 5.1 built-in for very little money.

5.1 surround discrete system

In dolby site there is all about surround sound system and because this
I could project, to build and to set up with success a prototype.

I sought information about 5.1 system but they are superfluous and I could not project an appropriate system.

I am sure that as soon as I discover the origin of the channels Sr and Lr I can project a circuit with great efficiency.

Re: 5.1 surround discrete system

carloscapitao said:
In dolby site there is all about surround sound system and because this
I could project, to build and to set up with success a prototype.

I sought information about 5.1 system but they are superfluous and I could not project an appropriate system.

I am sure that as soon as I discover the origin of the channels Sr and Lr I can project a circuit with great efficiency.

As far as I know they are simply individual channels in the digital data stream - which is why it can have two rear channels, and the analogue Pro-Logic can only have one.

Before I could afford a decent surround amp - in the days when even dolby surround processors seemed expensive (never mind pro-logic!) I connected a pair of speakers in series between the two 'right' output terminals of my amplifier's 'speakers b output'. i.e. nothing connected to the negative terminals.

I then switched the nicam and channel 'a' speakers off (mono sound, no front speakers) to balance the L+R channels until I could here minimum sound from the rear speakers. this was accomplished through VCR and amplifier balance controls.
This left me with rear speakers that only displayed left and right information and gave a very atmospheric surround effect! Surround sound which in my opinion was as good as the sherwood pro-logic amp I purchased a few years later!
I think that is possibly one of the more realistic approaches to making your own surround setup because as Nigel implied, Dolby are very protective over the technical details of their surround systems.
Even if you could get hold of the processors, making even a simple circuit would be no simple task!

Connecting the rear speakers in series and to both hot terminals of the stereo amplifier is The Hafler Method of cheap and simple surround sound. it was invented in the early 70's. I used it with vinyl records. Its front to back separation is very low but it is audible.

Attachments

• hafler surround sound.PNG
    hafler surround sound.PNG
    11.7 KB · Views: 4,497
Dolby 5.1 is a digital system (used on DVD players and digital satellite receivers), presumably all you need is the correct I/C (and all the support components), for which you have to pay Dolby a licence fee.

I would have thought it's totally impractical to try and build one, you can buy DVD players and amplifiers with Dolby 5.1 built-in for very little money.
how design doubly digital pro logic board and wish component will you to design the doubly system

Here you go! Good luck building one! :)

Attachments

• LV1017 passive dolby suround decoder.pdf
    329.4 KB · Views: 4,388
  • MSP 34x1G Dolby Surround Processor.pdf
    865.5 KB · Views: 4,119
  • Dolby Pro Logic II Decoder.pdf
    300.4 KB · Views: 4,762
thank you very much
but , i want how can control this ic [ NJW1107FC3 ] and [ NJU26108 ] and all functions

thank you very much

thank you very much
but , i want how can control this ic [ NJW1107FC3 ] and [ NJU26108 ] and all functions
You read and follow the data sheet information.

i want how can control this ic [ NJW1107FC3 ] and [ NJU26108 ] and all functions
Are you Japanese? Very few if any of us use those old obsolete Japanese ICs.

I bought my daughter a sound system with old Dolby Pro-Logic for her 16th birthday 14 years ago. Dolby Pro-Logic is not used today.
Now they use Dollby Digital Surround Sound.
I think the mono-to-stereo or to-surround is Mickey-Mouse because you cannot make stereo or surround sound from mono.

You can probably control those old obsolete Japanese ICs with a microcontroller.

Last edited:
i want to do the simple surround sound..
how can i got the schematic.?
The simplest "surround sound" system was the Hafler circuit. It produced very little front to back separation.
Here is an article about the Hafler surround sound circuit: **broken link removed**
The first one has 3 channels: left front, right front and rear. It uses only a stereo amplifier and 4 speakers.
The second one uses 6 amplifiers and 6 speakers.

there's also a way of using op amps to do addition and subtraction. first you buffer the R and L inputs, as well as feed them into gain of 2 op amps. you now have the following signals: L, 2L, R, 2R. for center channel, sum L+R. then you need to subtract some signals with a diff amp. for L front, use 2L-R, for right front use 2R-L. for the rear channels: Surround L is L-R, surround R is R-L. it's sort of a modification of the Hafler surround, but gives more defined channel separation. and it's all done with op amps.

so,how about surround schematic use 6 amplifier and 6 speakers?
It is a very simple circuit in the article I linked to. It uses 6 power amplifiers. Since it is very simple then the front to back and L to R rear separations are very poor. I copied it here:

Attachments

• Hafler Surround Sound.PNG
    Hafler Surround Sound.PNG
    20.5 KB · Views: 17,156
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back